How I lowered my quotes

Exec

Just thought I should share this, I was about to go and purchase a zed about two weeks before somebody got there before I did and bought it! I was saving quotes so that if the purchase was sucessfull I could send payment on my phone and drive it back.

A little about me, I'm 24, male, 5yr ncb (6 in a month or two).

Quotes were coming back around the £400 mark from most insurers, however Miss Exec kept asking if I could add her on the policy, which is only fair as I've been borrowing her car whilst I'm car-less.

So I added her on, which bumped quotes to £600. Her stats are similar to mine, age, ncb etc. Anyhow I looked further at variables I could legally tweak. I hadn't changed relationship to civil partner/ co-habitee! so I did, quotes came back at £350 :)

With further experiments I took her off and added my mother, 25yr+ ncb, this increased it quite drastically. Needless to say she isn't staying on.

So make some tweaks if you can people, if you have moved in with a partner they could well lower insurance!

P.S - this quote is cheaper than what it would cost me to drive a 160hp BMW 320d

(I use this to justify why I want a 3.5l sports coupe)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

You don't even have to cohabit. My 73 year old dad who I don't intend to ever put in the driving seat of my car, brings down the premium by a bigger margin than adding my 40-year-old mate who lives nearby and who is more likely (on paper) to sometimes share some driving with me.

I actually asked a chap from Aviva about this (several years ago and two cars ago), I was totally open as I want to check that it was above board. I said "look, my Dad lives 110 miles away, what is the score?", and helpful chap said that from an insurers' point of view, they just like to know that if I as main driver were incapacitated in an incident, that there is someone who could legally come and collect the car so that it's not (say) stranded in a ditch for a week before police remove it!

Weirdly though, adding a DIFFERENT local friend, who is 35 and married with two kids so you'd think he'd be a safe bet, always INCREASES the premium and we have not worked out why.

Mate #1 is a nurse. Mate #2 is a schoolteacher. I imagine the companies look at occupation and calculate a "tiredness / stress" level, so on that assumption, state education is the occupation more likely to make you crash a car than is the NHS ;)

I honestly think there is no set formula and insurance companies raise or lower quotes based on how many pokicies they have sold or how many of a certain age band / gender have had an accident recently. They all have a book of 1000 excuses to put your premium up. When i moved out of living with my parents in is what a pretty rough area and bought a house with my wife in a new estate and better area with the added maturity of owning a house and getting married i thought like many would. Hey my premium should come down a bit. No no no they told me because the new area had much more expensive cars on the driveways if one got stolen they would have to pay a lot more out and as a result they charge higher premiums!

Needless to say i shopped around and got it £100 cheaper. The message is you very rarely get any favours for being loyal so always shop around and just think because adding a certain family member on with one company puts it up or down all insurance companies will be the same because they aren,t

Same here Rich. Adding my wife to the BMW saved me £50 even though i have never made a claim but she has had 2 complete write offs. Work that one out

My wife drove into a building back in 2014* in my daily driver causing £2300's worth of damage to my car , unfortunately it was my car and my insurance :(

*The do have a tendency to creep up on you

• Like 1

20% science 80% black magic with insurance. They get you a 'best quote' then when you ring back with a competitor quote they 'have another look' and bingo its suddenly lower (but clearly still viable from a business perspective). Lots of gamesmanship based on some quite frankly basic algorithms to predict likelihood of a claim.

I used Adrian Flux I think it was, rang up to insure my Skyline and they were absolutely fine with it, rang up to insure my Celica with the same person at the same address and wouldn't touch it because they felt our road was too narrow. Fair enough, but didn't stop them insuring my Skyline which if the basic issue is size is much bulkier than the slimline Celica, what changed?

Edited by coldel