Annoying squeal

Alex350z

I did a track day today so the car got very hot! Driving it home i noticed at pretty much exactly 2k rpm there is a high pitched squeal until about 2.5k rpm where is goes, sounds like it might be the exhaust? Any ideas?

Cheers

My first thought was brakes but that isn't likely just between 2 and 2.5K RPM so I say check your belts first may be slipping either the main or aux.

Zorsts don't usually squeal as such although we did have one that whistled which was quite amusing :)

Bit more info would be good if it is not the belts :thumbs:

My first thought was brakes but that isn't likely just between 2 and 2.5K RPM so I say check your belts first may be slipping either the main or aux.

Zorsts don't usually squeal as such although we did have one that whistled which was quite amusing :)

Bit more info would be good if it is not the belts :thumbs:

What do you want to know? I dont think its the belts, ive changed them recently and the tension still seems fine.

When you say "squeal" is it a wheel spin sort of noise or a metallic squeal as in metal dragged over metal?

Does it only happen when moving or also when stationary - if it does it when stationary it rules out the brakes and if you can get a mate or Mrs or whoever to rev the engine try and locate where the sound is from - front of engine bay or more towards the gearbox???

:)

Edited by Keyser

I can just make out what I would describe as a rattle so it could well be CATs - or more likely the shroud or heat-proofing they are wrapped in - get underneath and have a nosey see what you can see :)

That sounds like one of those noises that no one else notices unless you point it out but drives you absolutely mad as you know it wasn't there before :lol:

I can just make out what I would describe as a rattle so it could well be CATs - or more likely the shroud or heat-proofing they are wrapped in - get underneath and have a nosey see what you can see :)

That sounds like one of those noises that no one else notices unless you point it out but drives you absolutely mad as you know it wasn't there before :lol:

Funny you say that, ive removed both shrouds as they were lose. Its really quite noisey from inside. I might put the gopro in a few places and see if its easier to hear :)

• 2 weeks later...

put it down to the nuances of the car? which means either... drive it above or below the point of annoyance, turn the stereo up more, buy a louder exhaust, or buy a better soundproofed car!

my car had any number of squeaks and rattles - had a really annoying rattle from somewhere round the back that in three years I never managed to pin down. If all you've got is a barely audible whine then count yourself lucky!

put it down to the nuances of the car? which means either... drive it above or below the point of annoyance, turn the stereo up more, buy a louder exhaust, or buy a better soundproofed car!

my car had any number of squeaks and rattles - had a really annoying rattle from somewhere round the back that in three years I never managed to pin down. If all you've got is a barely audible whine then count yourself lucky!

This definitely isnt a normal noise, its something wrong lol. A lot louder than what it is on the video
  • Like 1

Could it be the diff or box? I had the oils changed and he used patronas racing oil. ive now ordered the nissan stuff after reading they dont like aftermarket stuff. it only happens when its warm so could be once the oil has warmed up and it thins out?

• 8 months later...

:blush: ?

I can hear it in your video and my first impression upon hearing it is Belt Squeal. I'm having loud long squeal at startup and your noise sounds exactly like that but just for a short second.

The fact that it's directly related to a specific RPM range helps narrow the focus of diagnosis, a quick Google search of 'belt squeal 2k rpm' or 'belt squeal above 2k rpm' gives many forum posts you can read, one of them (RX7 forum) points to a particular pulley.

Other than that, and this is just me thinking out loud, could be a whistle that's created from your tyhpoon sucking air in at that RPM range. So then i Goggled 'K&N typhoon squeal'

which led to me to this post which is exactly what you are experiencing: http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/chevy-cobalt-owners-lounge/11943-k-n-high-pitch-squeal.html

No problem can't be diagnosed with a little googling ;)