Silverline polisher

bash370z

I've bought a Silverline orbital polisher and I am now worried after reading that orbital polishers cut more paint than a DA. I only polish every 2 months so don't want to folk out and buy a DA. What can I buy for the Silverline for best/safe results without spending a small fortune. I use Autoglym super resin polish.

To be honest mate you've bought the wrong tool and the wrong product.

Polishing with a rotary every 2 months will be through a zed's clear coat quicker than a rat up a drainpipe.

Orbital on a zed needs a paint depth gauge, experience and care. No offence but it sounds like you definitely don't have 2 of the 3.

For safe polishing (that you might want to do once or twice a year) you want a DA so you limit your chances of causing damage.

A decent amateur friendly polishing compound like Meguiars Ultimate compound which is chock full of fillers and some decent polishing heads.

Then every 2 months you want to be waxing or sealing not polishing

Polish = removing and correct paint (unless you're say applying something like a glaze with a DA buffer)

Waxing/sealing = protecting and adding gloss.

Finally a Silverline machine as a rotary isn't fantastic .....it serves a purpose (I have one and use it for spot repairs but it's way too heavy and not really cut out for complete car polishing.....certainly not with easy at any rate) but as with most things to get a good finish you need good equipment.

Putting it in some perspective I took a reading off a piece of bare steel with a £5 note over it. The thickness of a £5 note is 100 microns.

Freshly painted new cars are maybe 120 to 200 microns. Zed paint is enlarge somewhere under 100.

That means you've got less than the thickness of a £5 note to work on when polishing

As Ricey said, polishing every two months is massive overkill, even with a DA.

The best thing you can buy for the Silverline is a bin to put it in.

Your "need" to polish every two months is down to two things;

SRP isn't a polish (despite its name), it's a glaze at best and bloody awful to work with IMO. It has very little, if any depending on which version you're using, cut itself but is full of fillers. Thus you're not actually correcting anything. You could use it with your polisher if you bought a finishing pad with no cut, but SRP is even worse by machine than it is by hand, ESPECIALLY with a rotary!

And/or your wash technique needs addressing as you're inflicting more swirls more often. The correct wash technique will ensure that you need to polish as little as possible.

Either way, a Silverline rotary polisher isn't the right answer.

Thanks for the replys. I am quite new to detailing but I have read up quite a bit and have purchased products based on reviews (other than the polisher itself). Polishing is not something I've done much and have only used the super resin once in the 6 months I have had the car. I'll certingly not use the polisher now. The paint is in great condition with no swirl marks.

I do know the difference between polish and wax/sealent.

FYI I am using Collinite 456 (every 6 weeks) and Sonax quick detailer for top ups after a wash once a week

Thanks for the replys. I am quite new to detailing but I have read up quite a bit and have purchased products based on reviews (other than the polisher itself). Polishing is not something I've done much and have only used the super resin once in the 6 months I have had the car. I'll certingly not use the polisher now. The paint is in great condition with no swirl marks.

I do know the difference between polish and wax/sealent.

FYI I am using Collinite 456 (every 6 weeks) and Sonax quick detailer for top ups after a wash once a week

Again no offence intended but if you know the difference between polish and wax why are you planning on hitting your car with a rotary and polish every 2 months?

Seriously dude unless you're washing it with rocks that should be hugely unnecessary and you WILL be needing a respray in about 6 months if you're not careful.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk