PCV replacement.

JonRigby

I have searched for a bit and haven't managed to find a definitive answer but apologies if it is out there somewhere. My Z has a oil consumption issue that I believe to be the PCV valve. I had the rocker cover gaskets changed as I thought it might of been those but it wasn't. Is it as simple as removing a pipe, undoing the old valve and screwing in the new valve and plumbing it in?

Also, anyone know the best place to get one?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The PCV system consist of the low throttle/load breather which is on the left cam cover which goes to the plenum via a one way valve, which by the way is the one that sucks the most oil vapor into the engine.

The second part is the high load breather which goes from the right hand cam cover to the intake pipework just before the throttle.

Its unlikely to cause server oil consumption, unless there is bad ring seal, which will if server cause crankcase pressure and force oil vapor to the intake.

So if the low throttle side one way valve has failed its unlikely to cause bad oil consumption on its own,

Do you by any chance have a rev up motor? I would run a compression and leak down test if the oil use is excessive.

No mine is a 2005 DE. No drips and very faint smoke from the exhaust that you can barely see but is losing roughly 1 litre every 800-1000 miles.

How would I go about doing those tests?

I have a 2005DE I can go from service to service without burning a drop it would bother me big time if it burnt oil at that rate .definitely try to get to the bottom of it change the valve as said above . How many miles has it covered ?

No mine is a 2005 DE. No drips and very faint smoke from the exhaust that you can barely see but is losing roughly 1 litre every 800-1000 miles.

Compression tester here, http://www.ebay.co.u...tester&_sacat=0

To test first have a fully charged battery, remove all spark plugs, screw in the compression tester into each cylinder in turn,

wedge or hold throttle plate fully open, and turn the engine over at least 6 revolutions, and the same for each cylinder, and note the readings,

I will have a look for the factory readings for you.

A compression test will not always reveal worn oil control rings, but a leak down test will give a much better view of what the problem is, but due to needing a compressor to conduct a leak down test, I would advise taking to a decent garage for this.

PS what oil grade are you using?

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

Compression tester here, http://www.ebay.co.u...tester&_sacat=0

To test first have a fully charged battery, remove all spark plugs, screw in the compression tester into each cylinder in turn,

wedge or hold throttle plate fully open, and turn the engine over at least 6 revolutions, and the same for each cylinder, and note the readings,

I will have a look for the factory readings for you.

A compression test will not always reveal worn oil control rings, but a leak down test will give a much better view of what the problem is, but due to needing a compressor to conduct a leak down test, I would advise taking to a decent garage for this.

PS what oil grade are you using?

I'll give that a go when I can, I have bought a second car to keep the Z as a weekend car so it's no huge hassle anymore!

5W-30 straight from Nissan.

Got a replacement PCV from Zmanalex fitted today. Hopefully it will help! Anyway of testing the old one?

Jist gee it a sook or a blaw to test the one way valve. :thumbs:

So if no air comes out the otherside it's broken/blocked?

Got a replacement PCV from Zmanalex fitted today. Hopefully it will help! Anyway of testing the old one?

Depends if you are sooking or blawing :lol:

Blowing on where the hose connects onto.

Blowing on where the hose connects onto.

Ask your girlfriend or wife for an informed answer. :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the consumption is still the same so presume my PCV was in fact in full working order. But i have noticed the left side of the filler neck is wet and there is oil on top of the closet coil and all around it, does the filler neck leak or is coming from the plenum? But I'd of thought if it's coming from the plenum that it isn't the cause it's just a kind of knock on effect?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Could this be the fix to oil consumption?

This guy replace both valves and installed an oil catch can. He said in the video description

"a good sign you can benefit from this is if you pull your front left vent line and its got a build up of oil in side.. mine dripped.. even though i first noticed also of wet oil build up when i ported the intake manifold it became more clear when i stated checking the lines"

My mechanical knowledge is crap when it comes to this, but i'm happy to buy the parts and send my mechanic this video so he can do the job. what do you guys reckon?

Edited by DarmoZ