Jump to content

coldel

Ex Team Member
  • Posts

    14,064
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by coldel

  1. coldel

    Insurance Rant

    I would bet on the latter too. As you know working in stats, its costs a hell of a lot of money to come up with working logic for this stuff. To build and train a nerual network would cost far more than they would get back from having accurate risk models. And they would need a lot of good clean data to drive it and allow it to learn and adapt. Its not even just the pure number of claims they'd need to run the model, its the breadth of information about each claim too. It makes far more sense to have a crude and rudamentry system that keeps their quote about the same as the competition based on a few basic facts and have a bit of wiggle room that should someone want to be price matched, they can easily do it. In other words, laziness £20k on a Baysia licence, two weeks time with a decent marketing scientist with access to their database and they would have a much better model...although one which probably means debunking a lot of the nonsense we see on 'important information' sections of insurance premiums nowadays.
  2. coldel

    Insurance Rant

    I thought that I read somewhere there are already moves in place to cut back on personal injury claims and in particular whiplash claims.
  3. coldel

    Insurance Rant

    Why would it be more likely? One act is surely independant of the other therfore not a valid driver (scuse the pun) for increasing insurance premium charges. If you are young, male and new to the road then these are clear drivers of the likelihood of an accident - being hit by someone else I don't think is, causality vs coincidence. I think it should be made law that consumers can see these all conquering databases, they can be made to say what you want them to say, I am sure there are attribute sets in there which are hidden which if were included would have an reducing impact (twice, scuse the pun). I know that's the reason they give Ekona, but i'd bet that the statistics only show what they show because certain areas are very accident prone and people who drive a lot of miles in these areas are likely to be involved in more incidents. So while this will show that people who get crashed into will also crash into other people, the causeof that is actually the area and annual mileage, which are already accounted for in the premium. So basically they're double weighting the policy for the same thing. I will lick the inside of my exhaust pipe if anyone can come up with stats which show that given two identical drivers, in the same area, car, profession, and driving the same annual mileage the one who got crashed into is more likely to then have a crash based solely on that fact. DB +1 It would be good to hear a view on the level of sophistication from the Insurers on here. Although I suspect they all come from a central database and they are literally drip fed the numbers and have little insight into the analysis? I do have this awful feeling they are just using out of date 'stats' that thirty years ago Mr Dave Admiral sat down with a pen and back of fag packet and put together...
  4. coldel

    Insurance Rant

    It's more likely because that's what the statistics say. I've no idea of the real logic or reason behind it, but them's the facts and that's life. Maybe it's because people who have a non-fault then drive their car before it gets fixed in a slightly more care-free manner, leading to them causing an accident? I dunno, just a guess. My point I was trying to make is that any statistic will not indicate causality. Having done a stats degree and spent a decade working with databases in my job I am continuely shocked at the level, or lack of it, of proper analysis of it. I wonder how many of these insurance companies have done the numbers properly, do they for instance use multidimensinal driver models maybe even neural networks to properly evaulate 'what makes things happen' or do they get lists of numbers and literally get some 'stats' from them by looking at averages/correlations/standard deviations which for the purposes of creating an algorithm/model for individuals insurance premiums is literally useless? I would wager a full british pound its the latter. ...as for stats - be careful to quote so easily.
  5. coldel

    Insurance Rant

    Why would it be more likely? One act is surely independant of the other therfore not a valid driver (scuse the pun) for increasing insurance premium charges. If you are young, male and new to the road then these are clear drivers of the likelihood of an accident - being hit by someone else I don't think is, causality vs coincidence. I think it should be made law that consumers can see these all conquering databases, they can be made to say what you want them to say, I am sure there are attribute sets in there which are hidden which if were included would have an reducing impact (twice, scuse the pun).
  6. A single exit looks erm, just wrong on a Zed
  7. coldel

    Insurance Rant

    I for one am struggling with this insurance hike - you drive safely, you don't hit anything, you don't claim on your insurance over the insured period then they put it up. That is irrational and downright ridiculous.
  8. I put in the RTC velocity stack, its hard to notice any difference, or sound, that said I havent tried hard to notice a sound difference.
  9. Nissan charge £400 for some mats to put your dirty boots on?
  10. Yeah its a bit strange isn't it - I liked it, then started umming and urring and thought about the Tommy K badges - but now really like it again. I thought about putting the Z under the 350 but when I test placed them it didn't look right. The other option was to spray up the original Z which is smaller and use that so that its all black and looks less offset. Squee yes I would spray them yourself before putting them on, someone said to me the black ebay badges fade - mine went within months. I just bought some grey primer and satin black spray paint from Halfords - 4 layers of primer then 3 layers of black pain all is well
  11. OOOH yeah I did! BF3 looks pretty damn good.
  12. I just found it so frustrating on MW to be a top 5% online gamer in all previous games then have all these gadgets put in place to make it easier for those who can't be bothered to practice the game. Nothing more exciting than running and gunning with an MP40 taking down twos and threes of oppo running out of ammo and grabbing a random gun and carrying on. Instead you now have amatuers with sniper rifle with thermal and silencer hiding in one corner of the map. It actually made me switch to Battlefield 2 which I now love playing.
  13. Don't think people are saying having a Cat C is a problem, if the damage is fully understood and the repairs fully confirmed. Its more the sell on hassle and insurance costs...
  14. I actually went off MW - I thought the World at War game was just amazing but the following MW game was just overlaiden with gadgets - I much prefer just having a gun with no lazer sights or the like, just an iron sight and some good old fashioned reflexes on the gameplay. But I am old.
  15. Amazing the difference the engine bay mods make - looks very nice If I didn't need a new front bumper and exhaust plus with servicing and insurance this month to come then I would love to make some mods like that.
  16. This morning, you were dutifully doing up your tie and making yourself look presentable - job interview maybe? I passed by in the middle lane, black private plate.
  17. Hi Buckmoy, your link shows a Y-pip back exhaust, did you buy the Y-pipe seperately?
  18. Like the mix of rear badge options ... currently messing around with mine ... the Tommy K looks pretty good.
  19. Good effort though, same with mine, some Autosol and it looks a million times better.
  20. I did see plenty of signs for Porth ma dog, I think a brilliant name for a place
  21. And after three days still couldn't pronounce it right...mind you not as bad as Becks and I rushing to the bus and her asking the bus driver if he goes to Donegal Still, good three days, happy to report the Zed did us proud. M40, M6, A5 and quite possibly the best road I have ever driven on the A458 which has stunning views and swooping roads the Zed just lapped it up. Anyway a little tour...plenty of Zed action in the photos: Stopping enroute and finding an MG meet up, average age of drivers 84 Becks trying to get some attention View from the hotel, could have been good, but maintenance work put paid to it Becks thinks a 10 mile hike to Barmouth is a good idea with rain forecast...bearing in mind she is 16 weeks pregnant! To be fair some nice views ...and some bizarre ones After ten miles walking in pouring rain, we get to the footbridge across to Barmouth ...and dry off in the pub, which happens to have a tree in it Zed getting ready to take on the A458 One last stop to admire the view before leaving Wales
  22. Volks Racing GT-Vs, and yes I absolutely love em, pictures don't do them justice really
  23. Am getting my car serviced in a week or so, will get them to look at it and let you know what we find.
  24. From what I read on other threads I believe it does become redundant.
  25. Chee, I got one of these, to wire in takes all of about a minute. There is a connecter behind the throttle pedal, unplug that and plug it into the connector on the box, then plug the other connecter on the box into the socket behind the throttle pedal - done. It just sits between the throttle and ECU effectively. Then you need to do a couple of simple initial setup steps with the box and you are away. Defo worth getting one if you are saving for a remap and want something to give the throttle a decent blip until then.
×
×
  • Create New...