GT-R R35 gear shift knob on 370z 7AT?

Adrian@TORQEN

From the US Forums:

1. When you take off the OEM knob, you will see an inner stalk, an outer stalk, and a piece of plastic that sits on the inner stalk. Critical info: all measurements need to be taken when the shift knob is in manual mode, from the -(minus) position. This is because it is the lowest plane the shift knob will travel.

2. I used a pipe cutter to cut the outer and inner stalks. This gave a very clean cut. I cut the same amount off the inner and outer stalks.

3. The GTR knob, like the OEM, requires that you duplicate the 2 vertical slits on the outer stalk. I used a dremel for this - this was easily the most difficult task (for me).

4. At this point, the piece of plastic that used to sit on top of the inner stalk will not fit anymore once the inner stalk is cut - this is because the inner stalk is much thinner at the top in order to fit the piece of plastic. You will need to fabricate another piece of plastic, or try to thicken the inside of the OEM one. It is a fragile piece. I ended up making my own, but Office Depot sells a house branded plastic pen whose body will fit exactly over the inner stalk and duplicate the function of the OEM plastic part. If you cannot fabricate this piece of plastic, the Office Depot pen body will work just fine. It doesn't sound great using a 99 cent pen for a $325 knob, but it may save someone some time for now.

5. Put the GTR knob on, and mark each side where the pin will sit. Then gently dremel the outer stalk on each side.

6. Lube the stalks with lithium grease.

7. Put the GTR knob on.

Some pics - OEM 370z manual shift boot with the GTR shift knob (370z not shortened)

2013-08-09_11-17-41.jpeg

2013-08-09_11-21-10.jpeg

2013-08-09_11-18-46-1.jpeg

Some pics - without the shift boot and 370z stick shortened to match the GTR low style

2013-08-09_11-24-47.jpeg

2013-08-09_11-27-33.jpeg

So what do you think? :D

So what happens when you come to sell it, you can't remove it and fit the original as the shaft has been cut, seems like a lot of money and hassle for something so small and pointless

I'm guilty of having done so many "small and pointless" mods that over the years I've lost count of the total. However, in my opinion each and every one of them was necessary and an improvement over stock.

I'm looking forward to seeing this completed, good luck and please keep me posted on the progress :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Some little progress on this, the middle black plastic bit was sprayed in dark red, the base mount and the top button were sprayed in dark gun metal grey. Also, I have filled the shift pattern on the top button, it's now completely blank and drying after it's been lacquered :)

Although the photos don't show the colours perfectly because of the crappy iPhone photos and the neon lights in the warehouse, you can get an idea here:

2013-08-31_08-50-19.jpeg

2013-08-31_08-52-14.jpeg

2013-08-31_08-52-38.jpeg