Anyone know much about landline phones?

KurtB

Hi people,

I have tried looking at the BT troubleshooting site but still a bit stumped, so thought i'd throw this out there! Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

My landline phone has stopped working, but my internet is still working. It is BT Infinity which is fibre optic, but nothing has been altered inside the house with regards to this so i imagine it would use the standard phone line until it is outside the house at least.

If i take the cover plate off at the main point, the phone works at the test connection behind the plate (so BT's line and my phone itself must be working). However when I plug the phone into the main socket at the same point on the front of the faceplate, it doesn't work.

So I imagine a possible fault could be the small faceplate i unscrewed to access the test point right? At a quick glace the wires look alright, but will double check in a bit.

Is there anything else I could test or check?

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions :)

I've tested the phone, and that works in the test point on the master socket. Phone does not work in the normal socket on main, or in the slave socket.

Internet is at the end of an extension cord plugged into the slave socket working fine :surrender:

Have you tested it with a different phone? Just a thought.

I havent as I only have one, but as I can make it work several times in the test point, and not once in any other socket, i'm guessing it's unlikely to be the phone. Although to rule this out completely I will try to borrow one and perform all the checks again.

I think BT actually send you a new face plate for free if you contact them. A guy at my work had the same issue a few years ago.

Do you think the faceplate could likely be at fault? There is nothing usually plugged into the front of it, just a cable running out the back of the main box to the slave socket into which the internet is connected to, which is working fine. It does momentarily stop when i remove the faceplate then start up again once i refit it.

edit - Just ordered a new faceplate and tool so will give that a try next.

Edited by KurtB

sounds like you have a cable fault somewhere before the faceplate.

Voice requires both a positive and negative feed, your data only a single feed IIRC. Colleague had this exact issue last week.