Caliper Bolts

Posidrive

Intending to change the front disks and pads this weekend but feeling a touch twitching about getting the calipers off since I've heard a lot od stories about seized and suck bolts. I can cope with seized since will just mean biting the bullet and paying local garage to do it instead. But If the bolts are seized, how much leverage should I try applying before shearing the bolt is likely to be an issue? I suppose it is worth soaking in good penetrating oil first, any recommendations?

I did my front calipers and pads recently and I agree its not a difficult job at all. It was a little time consuming as it was my first attempt at this job but next time will be a piece of cake.

One little tip for tough bolts that I use is to attach the socket on a medium sized breaker bar then use a rubber mallet to hit the end of the bar (in the right direction of course). Sometimes this "impact" technique is enough to free any rust and move the bolt a few mm and makes it much easier to get off. I did of course coat the bolts in penetrating oil before I started so this definitely helps too.

Also I found that a couple of standard G clamps are perfectly fine for pushing the pistons back into the caliper. So if you dont have a piston reset tool and you are in a pinch something like this works brilliantly....

http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-g-clamp-150mm/6624c

Also, a good tip is to try and tighten the bolt a small amount to crack the rust and then try backing it off.

^^^ This for sure. When I use the rubber mallet technique I normally knock it once or twice in both directions and that's usually enough to get it free.