Have I been Ripped

Dicky

Rang Bridgestone UK technical this morning and apparently this tread depth variation is a design feature of the Potenza tyres to allow for the removal of water.

The guy mentioned that the outside of the tyre (the 6mm) is street legal down to Zero millimetre while 3/4 of the treat must be above the 1.6mm minimum depth as that's what the law permits, apparently the rear tyres will be similar. So the tyres are perfectly ok according to them.

I put the same tyre on the car last time and they seem to have lasted well enough so hey ho here we go. I still feel a little cheated though so will investigate my next tyre choice which will be the pilot sports. Nearly went for them this time as there's not a huge difference in price but the tight penney pinching part of my brain won the argument on this occasion!

Lots of tread isn't always good though, as then you can have huge tread blocks which wobble and move and upset the grip and balance. Of course, you can get the same issue on tyres with shallower tread too (I remember the R1Rs being awful for that), but it's just one other thing to consider.

Yeah the guy did say the depth profile is a design feature of this performance tyre. It's just that I've gone through life with the simplistic view that all tyres have 8 to 9 mm tread depths so when faced with this profile my first thought was "I've been ripped"

Bugger......wish I'd been born cleavour instead of devistatingly good looking!

• Like 2