Zed screaming and shutting off after plenum install :(

rav525

Hey guys,

Yesterday I fitted wasso's plenum spacer which nearly everyone on this forum has done. But after putting everything back together, the screams when I turn it on and switches off roughly after 5 seconds. I thought I might of missed a hose somewhere so took it all apart and did everything again, but same thing happens. I start it, it screams really loud (chain im guessing) and then its sounds like its trying to breathe and then switches off.

When installing the spacer, the things i unplugged was, the wire thing in the air intake, took the whole intake out. Unplugged the wire thing in the throttle body. In terms of hoses I took off, one from underneath the intake, one from side of intake, one from bottom of throttle body, one from top of throttle body and one from side of the plenum.

I uploded a short video for you to have a look at.

Also heres a walk around of the engine close up https://youtu.be/Zosr7yRL8r8

Everything was working fine, nothing has ever been wrong with it. Its a 2003 model which was imported in 2008 with 34,000 miles on the clock.

Any ideas guys? If anyone is around London, Romford, I am will to pay to get it fixed. Local garages here are rubbish and will not know what do with a zed. One recommend to take the spacer off and seal with a paste sealant, which I said no to.

Really want my car back to normal as it was my everyday drive. :byebye:

Sounds like it's sucking air in somewhere it shouldn't maybe ? On your walk round clip you haven't replaced the two studs that had nuts on for the longer bolts. Maybe not tightened down there fully ?

Will try that tomorrow, dont think its one of the long screws but will check it tomorrow morning. If it is then I will get that sorted first.

Take plenum off and see what happens ?

Already did bud, does the same thing. :(

Very bizarre noise! I installed a motordyne spacer and didn't torque down the plenum bolts hard enough and it made a whizzing noise, a suitable tighten around the bolts soon sorted it. But yes sounds like a leak somewhere, you should need sealant but do make sure everything is tightened down properly.

thanks for the responses guys, ye I connected all the hoses back properly and checked the seal. I was thinking would something like this happen if the maf sensor stops working or throttle body isnt working?

• 3 weeks later...

Its all down to air escaping at high speed. It happened when I reinstalled mine and I started slackening the bolts and it stopped. Uncrack all the bolts so you can spin them with your fingers and tighten to the correct torque doing the opposite rule