Are Winter Tyres Noisey if ran in Summer

Dicky

My two front tyres have uneavan wear due to tracking issues I didn't spot quick enough while the rears still have plenty of tread. I decided to buy a couple of winter tyres off the forum last winter to fit when mine wore down a bit more. Well they need changing now and I was wondering if

a) the winter tyres will be much noisier

and b)are there any safety issues in doing this.

yes and yes. suck it up and buy some new summer tyres for the front, then when the rears wear down, buy a new set of rears to match. keep the winters for winter!

Yeah, was thinking of doing that but the rears have still got over 4mm and if I change just two at a time I'd never be running on a full set of new tyres. The car never goes out in snow so I don't need winter tyres. I might just put them on and turn the radio up!

Agreed. Winter tyres are at their best when the temperature is sub 7 degrees celsius. Anything above that, and they are not going to perform as well, and will wear down at a horrifically fast rate! Best advice, as above, get yourself some summers! Also minimum tread depths usually differ from summers to winters (at least here).

Tyres generally have around 8mm tread to start wen new. I believe 1.6mm is the legal minimum requirement for summers. But over here, winters need a legal minimum of 4mm tread.

As for road noise, they will undoubtedly make more of a racket!

Edited by RS8055
  • Like 2

Two I've tried it before. Left the winters on into summer.

They're very noisy when they get warm, stopping distances seemed to increase and the car would physically shift on corners as the softer rubber, combined with the larger tread blocks deforms more under you.

Sadly I have to agree, get some new summers, don't waste time sticking the winters on just to get you by :)

• Like 1