ADVISORY ON A STRUT BRACE?? (UNDERSIDE)

zebedy

Took the car in for its MOT, the first one since ownership. The car sailed passed no problem, but the tester gave me an advisory on the "w" brace bar on the underside of the car.

Now here's me thinking is a type of strut brace and is removable and if you don't want it you can take it off as you " could" with the one in the engine bay" ie...if its not there, he's none the wiser.

here's what I mean, which is corroded to buggery......

DSC_0832_zpsrkgtlzvg.jpg

He told me to clean it up and paint it, which is what Ive done.

So because it formed part of the test, I'm thinking, this forms part of the structural integrity of the car because the roof has been chopped off. (do the coupe's have this???)

Any how, ill be looking to replace it end of the month. Where could I buy one of these, not this crappy OEM one but something abit stronger and sexier.

Also whilst I was under the car painting it, I decided to do the whole lot with silver underseal, so at least I know I wont get corrosion on the under side nor the arches.

DSC_0833_zpsnrs3ogew.jpg

DSC_0835_zpsobx2jbkp.jpg

If the silver can be seen through my new alloys, Ill be going over the silver with mat black. (just seen the paint on the disk, reminder to clean off!!! :-) )

DSC_0824_zps1vgmym6f.jpg

DSC_0827_zpsjbitjrcs.jpg

Make sure you have soaked the bolts holding the W brace on with plenty of penetrating fluid for a few days before attempting to remove them. The 4 in the middle are usually ok but the 3 either side can snap off easily! I bought the Ultra Racing one off EBay ( http://www.ebay.co.u...4.m1436.l2649��) - not this particular one, there is a cheaper option for the same item somewhere I'm just being lazy ;) It fits perfectly and appears to be better than the OEM part. It's a doddle to replace and looks great ( not that you see it often ). :)

Edit: There's some pix in my gallery :lol:

Edited by Floydbax