I need new brakes

Argyll

I've been told my discs and pads are nearing their end. I've been given a quote of the bog standard discs and pads fitted at £440ish. Is this a good deal?

To be honest I'm considering upgrading them and getting vented discs and high performance pads. I'm also considering braided pipes.

Two things I want to know.

• What type of discs and pads are best (road only)?

How much am I looking at roughly for parts and fitting (ballpark figure)

For a little more BigPhil will be able to do some EBC discs and DS2500 pads which is what I got. Much better than the standard setup, and if you fit it yourself wont cost you much more.

Nissan Basingstoke reckon its about £1300 for discs and pads all round, but they're mental :surrender:

yeah I'll have a crack at fitting them myself. Not the braided pipes though!

I've already tried to contact big phil twice but he hasn't replied yet!

You'll need to ring him on his mobile. He moving premises (and house as well I believe) atm and doesnt have a net connection from what I hear. Always open for business though, drop him a call to his mob (no in his sig) :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
I've been told my discs and pads are nearing their end. I've been given a quote of the bog standard discs and pads fitted at £440ish. Is this a good deal?

To be honest I'm considering upgrading them and getting vented discs and high performance pads. I'm also considering braided pipes.

Two things I want to know.

• What type of discs and pads are best (road only)?

How much am I looking at roughly for parts and fitting (ballpark figure)

How many miles on those discs/pads?

sh1t the bed, really? do you think people sometimes fail to post bad experiences.... I would hate squealing breaks - I drive a grand tourer after all... :)

Squeeling brakes is perhaps the worst thing in the world. Imagine slowing down at lights and having horrendous squeeling like a double decker bus :surrender:

Maybe I did something wrong, but I had them out three times and could not prevent the squeeling. I put the shims on, took them off and put them back on and still *SCREEEEEEEEEEEEECHHHHHH*

:blush:

sh1t the bed, really? do you think people sometimes fail to post bad experiences.... I would hate squealing breaks - I drive a grand tourer after all... :)

Squeeling brakes is perhaps the worst thing in the world. Imagine slowing down at lights and having horrendous squelling like a double decker bus :surrender:

Maybe I did something wrong, but I had them out three times and could not prevent the squeeling. I put the shims on, took them off and put them back on and still *SCREEEEEEEEEEEEECHHHHHH*

HORRIFIC :scare:

Squeeling brakes is perhaps the worst thing in the world. Imagine slowing down at lights and having horrendous squelling like a double decker bus :surrender:

HORRIFIC :scare:

The EBC red stuff's I had didn't squeel at all and for a normal driver like me didn't feel any worse performance wise :)

Is it a basic premise that, to replace all four will cost > grand @ stealer for OEM, but you can upgrade the whole lot via BigPhil for a few hundred less?

I would imagine / know that the most cost from the Stealer is labour, so the question is, once the cost is from BigPhil, what's the installation cost - shut up all you privateers, I'm asking as someone who wants a professional to do the job! (ie. not me! or you!)

Cheers

Steve

Is it a basic premise that, to replace all four will cost > grand @ stealer for OEM, but you can upgrade the whole lot via BigPhil for a few hundred less?

I would imagine / know that the most cost from the Stealer is labour, so the question is, once the cost is from BigPhil, what's the installation cost - shut up all you privateers, I'm asking as someone who wants a professional to do the job! (ie. not me! or you!)

Cheers

Steve

Pads: £190 from Bigphil

Labour: Took me 3 hours with no clue and no ramps.

Dealer should be able to do it it in 45 mins in my opinion. :dry:

I got my hardware from Phil and fitted by Nissan for £300 quid, so still cheaper than Nissan for uprated performance :thumbs:

Agree about the squealing. Mine happens at just one speed, about 10MPH, above or below and it doesnt happen. So I break to about 11MPH and then coast to a stop :lol: Seriously, I think I will go with Red Stuff next time if they dont make the noise. If I was tracking the car I'd stick with DS2500

DS2500s do squeal like buggery (well, mine do) but I don't mind that at all because nothing has come close in terms of eyeball ripping stopping power (I hear that PF with DS2500s are even better).

Having said that, I did about 18k with redstuffs on OEM discs, and thought they were great - a real bargain in terms of price.

• 2 weeks later...