Ring Trip

Kaveney

Or theres always Drive the Ring if you fancy a new Cooper S, tremendous fun arond here.They also have a special offer on at the moment I believe, four laps including fuel/insurance in a n S.The deal gets you one free share in the company which is worth €395.Hire is €399.Best bit is that the share is redeemable in return for another four laps in a Cooper S whenever you want or just keep the share for the future.

I live in Breidscheid and instruct on the Ring (week off this week in preparation for the 24Hr.)

Best advice really is ignore any video games as they are a world apart from real life.The gradients are much more severe and the straights not as long.

All corners here can be negotiated with one application of lock.

Basic rules of thumb is "if you cant see around it, its a VERY late turn in point"

Rear view mirrors, USE them EVERY time BEFORE changing lane, ie making the corners as wide as possible.

No overtaking on the right, it is illegal as this is a German Highway and all highway regulations apply.

Check with your insurance company as to if you're going to be covered-if they tell you no, simply inform them that you should be covered on a German toll road.It has to cover you for the minimum Third Party cover.

Most of all enjoy it, its the best in the world and totally unique.

• Like 1

Alright, well I am taking the Zed probably either the Saturday 23rd or Sunday 24th May. Daveyboy, you taking your Zed did you say? Either you or GT4 Zed want to meet up there?

I'm with daveyboy11

If you see 2 zeds (gunmetal with black wheels and a black zed on silver rays) give us a wave! Will be with a mental Mini Cooper s and a mk1 green Audi tt. Should be awesome!!!

Pm me your mobile number and I'll drop you a text when we're there!

I've been a couple of times and find taking the ferry over from Hull to Rotterdam the best on the way out -

It's an overnight crossing and it means you arrive well fed and refreshed from a nights sleep and ready to roll at 07:30 in the morning, then it's a nice gentle run to The Ring and you get there mid afternoon (ish) (Gentle unless you drive at 130 plus on the Autobahns)

I live in Manchester so the trip across to Hull is only a couple of hours, and this influences my decision - I find if I drive to the tunnel it's 6 hours from me and you don't get any rest in the tunnel on the way over, so you end up with a long drive and get there knackered.

Coming back I use the tunnel as the ferry times don't fit so just drive to the tunnel and keep going coming north - but at least you end up at home then and collapse into bed after the 14 hours run.

Good luck and have fun.

(Just a word of warning - take care on Ex-Muhle if it's wet. . . . . ummmm . . . . Ouch . . . . . 'Nuff said. Ahem ! )

Alright, well I am taking the Zed probably either the Saturday 23rd or Sunday 24th May. Daveyboy, you taking your Zed did you say? Either you or GT4 Zed want to meet up there?

Yeah man I'll be there in the zed, she doesn't look pretty at the moment but it'll be a fun drive! Hope to see you there!

Edited by Daveyboy11
  • Like 1

Getting somewhat excited about the Ring in a week or so. Never been before, so really hoping that the weather is dry and sunny, as a wet track would truly be a baptism of fire! I heard something about video cameras being banned on track, does anyone know if that includes GoPros? Apparently you can rent a video camera though?

Cameras are allowed now. The track is nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be. Don't drive like a tool and give yourself time to learn where it goes and you'll have no issues.

• Like 1

It is lethal in the wet so be warned! In the dry it's fine as long as you keep an eye in your mirrors, you will have a plethora of BMWs/Porsches coming past you at crazy speeds, amongst other cars of course!

But yeah as long as you don't drive like an idiot you'll be fine!

The cooper s is tuned, it's a monster! The TT is standard and the Black Zed is too pretty much. Mine isn't modded much, lowered on Teins, spacers, K1 exhaust, throttle controller, induction kit all pretty basic stuff. It's got a horrible dent in the side and and an odd coloured wheel so doesn't look pretty but mechanically it is spot on!

Ah nice! Mine is pretty standard too... Invidia Gemini cat back, Exedy Clutch and lightweight flywheel, spacers... not bothered with a remap yet though. Want to get some HFCs, pop charger and plenum spacer, but don't have the money or certificates yet

I can imagine! Yeah, should be good. I had to put the Invidia on because my OEM broke at the usual spot (between midpipe and backbox). Shame to change it really because it sounded AMAZING. From what my mate said, it actually spit fire on the motorway a bit before I changed the system!

Why?:)

I'll call in when I can, could be a busy weekend for me though.Remember those rear view mirrors and no RH overtaking.

Be safe.

Best pizzas available in the Zum Kleeblatt imbiss in Breidsheid.;)

• Like 1