Americanisms

twobears

Bobbins? I don't want to do away with all the chains, just to have more variety. Because of the way we live now we couldn't go back to the days when Arkwright and his ilk served us, although I do remember our village shop being like that and it was most enjoyable, if a little slow. I really would welcome more small shops amongst the big stores.

I put my money where my mouth is too. I always check out the high quality independents when I find them and usually end up buying something. I particularly love small bakeries and country wear shops as well as galleries and antique shops and lighting/ furniture ones too. If Argos,Tesco and IKEA were my only 'choices' I'd make my own stuff!

Hm, maybe I'm not quite au fait with chavism. Must stay in more and watch some Jeremy Kyle!! I'd be able to make money in Ludlow because that's the sort of market I aim at. There's a big supermarket there too. A Waitrose I think? And they have a wonderful lighting shop a bit further up the hill.

Sorry, I don't believe that young people need youth clubs or whatever. I grew up in a tiny village with one shop and I managed just fine. Never felt the urge to turn to crime! Life's what you make it. I've never waited for someone else to provide entertainment for me :)

Edited by twobears

I just used this as an example how similar words can totally different things depending on level of global awareness as you immediately assumed Chavism (without the hyphen) was related to people in society we call chavs in the UK where its meaning is a supporter of Hugo Chavez along the same line as Marxists and Trotskyites

Jeremy Kyle ? probably better to go Jeremy Paxman

I just used this as an example how similar words can totally different things depending on level of global awareness as you immediately assumed Chavism (without the hyphen) was related to people in society we call chavs in the UK where its meaning is a supporter of Hugo Chavez along the same line as Marxists and Trotskyites

Jeremy Kyle ? probably better to go Jeremy Paxman

I didn't understand at all so thanks for explaining :blush: I'm obviously much more suited to Mr Kyle's fervid outpourings than Mr Paxman's snide remarks and obsession with the supportive qualities of M&S underpants :lol:

Whilst it is a fact that language evolves, my position is that we should resist any change that increases the ambiguity of meaning.

So your initial example of disinterested vs. uninterested should be combated as they mean very different things. Evident misuse of words which have very separate meanings through ignorance should not be lightly condoned, and is a matter for reinforcement of education rather than acceptance of change. Whilst I freely admit to grammatical imperfection, I will strive to improve when it is pointed out to me. The axiomatic argument that "language changes over time" and is fundamentally a mechanism of communication for the majority is too often used as an excuse for those too lazy to learn contemporary grammatical standards.

I think Bill Watterson hit the nail on the head with this Calvin and Hobbes cartoon ...

verbing_weirds_language.gif

• Like 2

Is there a right or wrong answer to this? At the end of the day it's communication and as long as we all understand each other, who cares? I'm pretty sure none of you talk/write/communicate how they did 200 years ago or even a hundred years ago. I'm of the opinion that things do change and as it is becoming easier to travel around the world surely language will change? If we incorporate a word from US English into ours, what's the big deal?

I guess I'm not very patriotic and I don't care all that much about English heritage or the past. I'm more interested in the future and trying to make the most of it. If that means exploring strange Americanisms, seeking out new words and merging dictionaries then I will boldly construct a sentence that no one has constructed before, incorrectly.

Edited by mouthwash
  • Like 1

No, it doesn't really matter, English is full of French, German, Latin, Scandinavian, Indian and a smattering of Arabic words/names. Throwing a few Americanisms in the mix is hardly going to ruin the language but being British, it is a our god damn right to complain about it!

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 2