bonnet catching wing?

fake ben taylor

Hi all,

Joined up a while ago and been lurking making use of the search function to answer most problems and find the bits I need but the search has finally failed me :(

I bought my z last year cheap as it had some bodywork issues, the biggest one being that when the bonnet is lifted it catches the top corner of the wings and has bent the wings up and its rusted on the edges where the bonnet has rubbed the paint off.

Is this an adjustment issue or a problem with bent hinges? Need to sort the catching so I can then get it to a body shop to be sorted.

Im sure this is a somewhat common fault. Ive certainly seen other topics about this (maybe not this forum).

Since reading them, i made a point of spraying white lithium grease on the hinges every few months.

Edit:

Just looked at the photos and seen it was a 350z. My apologies, thought this was the 370z section for some reason.

That doesnt look too good!!

Edited by ross27

• 3 months later...

Had mine a week and I noticed that the left hand side does the same. Going to take a closer look over the weekend, looks like it could be a hinge problem, the way it rocks, hope some grease will sort it.

The drivers wing gap is too tight at top of headlamp, the drivers wing top edge towards screen needs bending down flush on bonnet edge. The wing on the passenger top edge seems way out, may be good pop to a body shop for some advice as there is only so much adjustment between the3 points previously mentioned. :)

Hinge seems to be buried in the wing. WD40 squirted in using the little red straw on Saturday. Exercised and rechecked it today. Hey presto fixed, so it would seem that the hinge needed feeding with a little oil,will keep an eye on it though.