HR gearbox problems

Boulderman1988

Hi Chaps,

Just bought my z a few weeks ago and absolutely love it however, after a week or so I noticed a slight crunch between 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd. Its worse when cold and also sometimes doesn't do it at all... I know the older gearboxes were known for this but pretty sure mine shouldn't be crunching, it being an 08 HR and only having 45000 miles on it. It also has the rattling input shaft bearing which I think is common issue and nothing to worry about?

Anyway I took it to Cougar Store in Leicester for a general check-up and they recommended I have it looked at under warranty for 1st and 2nd gear noise (whining - not the crunching between changes) and not to worry about the crunching. Car is still under 3 month warranty from dealer (major mechanical parts and labour) and is back with them to check but I got the impression that they would not be prepared to pay for repair unless it was an actual failure...

What do you reckon do these issues sound normal and/or should they be fixed under warranty?

Cheers

The zed is known for 1st and 2nd gear change crunchiness. Once warmed up you should be fine. A lot of owners recomend putting a tube of molislip in with a gearbox oil change to smooth things out. Not sure about the whining from the gear box. If cougar store recommend getting it checked I probably would as they know their stuff.

Clutch is noisy on these cars too. You will find numerous threads about noisy clutches when in idle. It's normal .

I'd be looking at doing an oil change on the gearbox and adding some molyslip - the whining could be the wrong oil or maybe low oil (although unlikely unless the gearbox has been damaged)

Defo worth asking if it's covered by warranty though:thumbs:

• Like 1

I'd be looking at doing an oil change on the gearbox and adding some molyslip - the whining could be the wrong oil or maybe low oil (although unlikely unless the gearbox has been damaged)

Defo worth asking if it's covered by warranty though:thumbs:

+1 Could be a CSC fault if it happens when its warm too. That's a common HR problem even in the 70.

Edited by 370Ad

Thanks for the replies guys/girls and thanks for the welcome Jimboy2! We'll see what the mechanic/dealer says, hopefully it will be back soon -I miss it! If he wont fix anything I'll try an oil change and molyslip and see if that improves anything... although CS reckoned molyslip isn't such a good idea.

Cheers