Track day MX5

grahamc

First track day in the MX5 since it was modded this Saturday (Castle Combe), really looking forward to it..... its an MLR day, so I expect to be the slowest thing out there, but I do expect some of them to "breakdown" :stir::boxing:

Edited by grahamc

Had a pretty good day at Castle Combe yesterday, started off slow and rained lightly (which it wasnt meant to), Mel struggled with Avon Rise and through Quarry in the morning, but finally got it in the afternoon sessions :D had to change how we took that corner in the MX5 compare to the GTR (which we have both driven at CC). We were prety much the slowest car on the straights and the lack of power really showed on this track, but we both were faster than quite a few other cars through the corners and bends, but lost out as soon as the power was applied.

Lots of other cars though and all being faster made it a little painful....

Mels hard work was eventually paid-off in the afternoon when she finally started to get all corners and started catching a Toyota MR2 and finally got around it, by being a LOT faster into an out of Quarry, getting round on th exit :) For that lap she managed a 1:36 roughly, which was pretty good ;) Have a video of the lap, just need to get it cut out and uploaded.

It then tipped it down a little later on and we went out for a few laps, managed to pass a very slow S3 and then had a monster moment on the final corner right by the big wall. Fortunately it was early in the corner, so corrected, continued round and into the pits.

MX5 handled VERY well on the day....

• new seats and harnesses are great, hold you in place well so you can worry about driving the car
  • new suspension is really really good, used the road settings, so could probably have done with hardening up some, but a good start
  • new wheels and tyres...... well this must have been the best change, the yoko AD08 tyres are just fanatastic in all conditions and the change to the car is just brilliant!!!

Have a CD of some images of the car from the event, but completely forgot that we dont have any CDROMs in the house, so will need to get them copied off tomorrow at work.

On the lack of power front, there was a S2000 there and we are very tempted to move to the S2000 instead of doing the supercharger conversion. Reliability is VERY important to us....... but still not sure. Trackday at Thruxton should be interesting....

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Car is booked into Skuzzle on 28 Nov for a few bits and pieces smile.png

Supercharger (standalone ECU, intercooler, fueling)

Flying Miata clutch and flywheel kit

Airbag bridge

Exhaust

biggrin.png

Going to take a few weeks, but looking forward to it!!

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Car is booked into Skuzzle on 28 Nov for a few bits and pieces smile.png

Supercharger (standalone ECU, intercooler, fueling)

Flying Miata clutch and flywheel kit

Airbag bridge

Exhaust

biggrin.png

Going to take a few weeks, but looking forward to it!!

Car was dropped off for this :D saw a MK1 with a SC being mapped, sounds awesome!!! Really looking forward to getting this back. Can also add an oil cooler to the above list of bits........

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

She made 198hp with the new supercharger, its so easy to drive and so progressive that you hardly notice any changes. Mapped on regular unleaded so could make some more power with higher octane, cams, some head work and SC mods... but will leave it as is for now.

She is off to Sly this weekend coming to finish off some other bits and pieces, setup the geo, etc and then hopefully its back to the tracks :D

Makes an awesome noise :) its off to Sly this weekend to make everything perfect and do a lot of the small jobs, but cant wait to get it back on track! It was great fun before the SC and I might actually be able to pass a car on the straight now :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since the only tool I can use with any level of success is a hammer, I had to take it in. For the SC itself its about 2.5-3.5k installed, that includes the fuel injectors, intercooler, ME ecu and mapping, I also changed clutch, flywheel and added on an oil cooler. Clutch and flywheel kit was 5-600 from the US.

Edited by grahamc

First track day done....Had a great time and the car performed well.

Exhaust is blowing - will need to get that fixed

Idle issue developed towards the end of the day, car just would not idle, but with a touch of throttle it was fine

Have maxed the suspension settings and there is still too much roll on the car :( and I still dont think its fast enough (currently 200bhp)! So will be looking at coilovers, ARBs and bracing to see what can be improved on the suspension side.

Car is currently mapped for normal unleaded, so tempted to make a few changes to the supercharger and perhaps the engine to get a bit more out of it before doing a new map.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

2nd track day done

Love the sound of the supercharger :)

http://vid920.photob...zps1uvyzfu7.mp4

Car was putting most things to shame at Goodwood :D had people coming up and asking about it, etc surprised AMG mercs, 500hp Jags, Porsche GTS boxsters..... its currently at Slys having a few changes and checks done. Exhaust is blowing a lot, ARBs and the car developed a lovely electrical fault towards the end of the day when really pushing into corners.... it would completely lose power for 1/2 a sec and then come back which surprisingly the car didnt like too much. At the end of the day, the power cuts were more frequent.

However, we were both so happy with the way the car performed at Goodwood, that we are not going to change anything on the suspension or power front for now. It was just lovely to drive!!

I really do prefer hammering this little thing on track VS the GTR, its just so much fun!! And now that its quite quick, its damn near perfect!

Edited by grahamc