Sph-da120 plug and play?

Mattle40

All the threads Iv found regarding this head unit in the zed make this seem very complicated, with splicing and soldering etc. Is there not a plug and play kit to put this in a 2005 Z?

If not il just rule out a change as I would want to be able to return to standard without any issues.

Installing almost any HU in a Zed will require soldering or splicing to some degree if you have the Bose amp. There are plenty of threads on here it really isn't that difficult a job, just a bit fiddly due to space more than anything...

A few tips -

Locate a decent earth

Make sure you wire the amp on correctly

Get the right steering control adapter

Remember you may need boost the signal to the amp either with in-line boosters or stripping the RCA's (copyright Buster)

• Like 1

Well, I have after years of owning a Pioneer F900BT, I went and got myself a SPH DA120 today.

Wiring was straight forward and I reused my existing GPS antenna and mic, since they are the same anyway, and also the steering wheel controls have been retained.

Carplay works well, if limited to a handful of apps.

The only issue I have now is that my reversing camera doesnt work as expected and has stumped me.

I have connected it to the correct plug on the HU, I can get a picture when in "Camera View" mode.

If I turn on "Camera Mode" and "Back Camera Input" and then go into reverse, it autoswitches, but then i sometimes have to manually cancel the view by pressing the "X" in the top right corner, which then also switches the autoswitch off.

I'll give it another look over the next couple of days and see what I can find

Well, turned out that I forgot to connect the reverse signal wire :whistle:

And here is how it looks

955BD709-812B-4BAC-8704-D6EC7525EAF7_zpsihuvs8tv.jpg

Working reverse :whoop:

Mattle40

I had already done all the splicing work when I previously installed the Pioneer F900-BT.

If I recall correctly, I used an Incartec loom to plug into Nissan plugs one end and DIN standard plugs the other end.

Then in the loom that come with the HU, I did the parking brake bypass by splicing the pale green parking brake wire to the black ground wire which I then grounded to the chassis.

And that is all.

It's also worth mentioning that I have ripped out all my Bose gear (which is really rebranded Clarion) and replaced with Alpine PDX-5 amp and components up front, coaxial in the rear and a Bazooka Subwoofer tube.

Hope this helps

Edited by BulletMagnet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, pretty much.

You won't need the cage either.

There is a bag of short screws that comes with the SPH-DA120, use them to attach the brackets that were used to attach the OEM HU to the centre console which is also used to anchor the centre console to the car.

Just attach to new HU (three screw per side) and then mount the bracketed HU into place, don't bother screwing it to the centre console plastics. It also makes for easier tidying up of wires and future access if you want to change the setup (like rip all the Bose gear out and then run RCA wires etc. to a new amp)

Don't forget to run a grounding wire from the Pioneer loom to the bulkhead, you can also ground the handbrake wire to this to bypass, this then allows watching vids on the go (for the passenger of course)

one wire which is normally on the iso cable you get for the steering controls has a female plug already on it and the stereo iso has a spare blue/white cable on it so i just put a male plug on it and it was all fine. ill get pics at sonepoint as i beed to take it back out to paint the centre cobsole

Buying the unit today to probably tackle on Tuesday, what have people done regarding the microphone? Is it possible to tap into the factory one or best to just use the one that comes with the unit? If the latter, what is a good discreet mounting location?

I put mine at the top of the A-Pillar, clips nicely to the plastic trim and does not interfere with the sunvisor

Cheers, Iv gone for the side of the speedo pods where the dial dimmer buttons are.

Edited by Mattle40

So frustrated!!, all in and working apart from the steering controls. Incartec sent me a universal patch lead to wire myself, I wired as instructed and plugged the jack into the w/r socket on the head unit but no response at all. Any ideas please?

Difference is that the pioneer one will be more monies for no reason.

For example they will happily charge you £40 for a cable you plug into the HDMI port and Digital AV Adapter to run AppRadio, you can use a standard HDMI cable for this job (had a spare laying about, works fine)