Anyone planning any road trips this summer?

sasha@lazytrips

I've got a trip to northern Italy planned for early June so was really interested to see your northern Italy route but it turns out it's all the places I'm not going!!

My route is to get from Folkestone to Basel in the first day

Very optimistic. We drove from Lille to Troyes today on mostly RN and D roads with a bit of autoroute thrown in and it took 6 hours. Mostly I drove at +10mph over.

On the autoroute you could do Basel in maybe 9 to 10 hours with minimum stoppages.

BTW, in case you thought the answer was to put your foot down a little harder, check this out.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=209&t=1502212&nmt=Done+for+speeding+in+France+-+The+shame+of+it

Edited by yankeesiter
  • Like 1

Very optimistic. We drove from Lille to Troyes today on mostly RN and D roads with a bit of autoroute thrown in and it took 6 hours. Mostly I drove at +10mph over.

On the autoroute you could do Basel in maybe 9 to 10 hours with minimum stoppages.

BTW, in case you thought the answer was to put your foot down a little harder, check this out.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=209&t=1502212&nmt=Done+for+speeding+in+France+-+The+shame+of+it

I'm definitely in for a very long day but I'm under no illusions - I remember doing Paris to Bilbao in a day in an Alfa 159...I started to get so numb I could hardly feel my legs!

We're in Nice at the moment having done the trip from Macon (331 miles) on the Route de Napoleon. We got lost twice and had a long lunch stop due to waiting for two to catch up who had got lost. In the end, it took us 11 hours. Unless you're always on autoroutes, be pessimistic about the time it takes.