Gearbox Rebuild

mattmanslim

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone on here has had their gearbox rebuilt before? My 07 Revup Zed has a nasty crunch when shifting into 5th or 6th. I'm aware that this is a common problem, even on the CD009 'box. I replaced my gearbox oil yesterday with official Nissan stuff and a tube of Molyslip. It has made no difference whatsoever to the grinding problem and feels no different overall. I'm therefore left to the conclusion that I need 5th and 6th synchro replacing.

Has anyone had this done and to what cost? Also, where abouts did you have the rebuild done? I'm looking to contact A&M Gearbox Services in Essex.

Yeah common across all these boxes but much much less so in the CD009's.

Most people do just go for a new one but I was quotes almost 3k in parts alone from Nissan for a rebuild and that didn't include workshop time either.

Obviously that's the stealer price, but it's not a cheap fix. Even many garages won't tackle a gearbox rebuild.

Ouch! It's an absolutely ridiculous sum of money when you consider the amount of parts and what's inside. I mean it's a passive device which is basically the same across all cars. I just don't understand how after making cars for so many years they could get it so wrong on the 350z. Are Nissan quite renowned for gearboxes made out of cheese? It's my first and coming from a Ford, I quite frankly expected better.

Oh well, I'll take my shifts slowly and learn to live with it. Perhaps in the future I'll be able to find a new CD009 at a respectable price.

Thanks for the reply.

Just to add to this my CD009 has been crunching for about 25k miles out of a total of 100k of which I contributed 85k of fast road, track and daily driving. The fitting an HD clutch and SMF did not affect the crunching.

No combination of oils made a jot of a change though there was some improvement after fitting solid gearbox and engine mounts. I also find there is less crunching when the engine/gearbox is warm and i can abolish the crunching with slow deliberate up or downshift between 5th/6th which is how I drive the car now.

As you stated the CD009 gearbox was not immune to the synchro issues that plagued the original CD008 and typically the 5th/6th where affected whereas in the 008 1st/2nd also commonly failed.

As a result Nissan further upgraded the synchros on the later cars and rebadged the GB as CD00A. This is the only option now available from Nissan to replace any gb from any 03-07 de/Revup car. The CD009 is discontinued.

I was also quoted 3k By Nissan for the CD00A including VAT but not fitting about 2 weeks ago.

What I'm trying to say is that the CD009 was the first upgrade and this was superseded by the CD00A so do not limit yourself to the 0009 or pay through the nose for it. I'm looking out for one myself and worse case scenario I'll get it from the states for about £2k rather than pay close to 1k some breakers are asking for decent mileage CD009s with little or no warranty.

Just my 2c... refurb the CD009 might not be to bad (depending on place and what needs doing). Has anyone tried to marry a 370Z box to the 350Z? a lot of drifters use the 350Z box so guessing it has been done... took a 5 second pause here and go to google....and I didnt find anything to the 350Z :(

There is always this:

60g2-350z2.678_2007__2.jpg

There is no point refurbing the CD008 as will be using the same weak sauce synchros as its not compatible with the CD009 or CD00A synchro.

Refurbing the CD009 is a goer but the cost can be up to the tune of £1.5k and over! Hence the used CD009 commanding good residuals.

I would be happy to spend £500 on a rebuilt or used a CD009 with sub 50k miles with some sort of guarantee for at least 3 month but not found this yet.

Because my car is a keeper and will be running big power again it's imperative to get this right and ultimately a new box maybe the best bet.

Wrt the 370 box swap. It is possible and even the HR but the are so many thing to modify and manufacture to make it work that you may as well buy a CD00A. Some one on my 350z looked into using the HR box and took measurements etc but gave up in the end.

If money was no object I'll have the Quaife drop in sequential box without even a second thought.ðŸ˜

yeah 12k is a bit steep :D Sorry missed OP was on CD008, my two CD009s was pretty well priced, first was junk though and second poppes out of fifth now and then and sounds a bit noisy nothing I cant live with, will see what the fellow mechanics over in this country can do when the time comes (and it will) that I need to replace it.

1695 USD for a brand new OEM gearbox from the US... how cant it be that much more expensive in the UK!?

Which works out at £1130 + Shipping (I just inquired) at £530 - Total: £1660

I wonder what Duty and VAT etc would be like on receipt?

Edited by ts743

VAT and import duty would be 23% (I think car parts a 3% import duty), so would be £2042 + and admin fees charged for collecting the duties.

Edit: Did the maths before saw the above... wasn't far off! :)

Edited by Paddy78
  • Like 1