Not starting suddenly suggestions welcome

Scully

So details first

Fully serviced with 62k miles

2007 HR

fault codes P0000 nil

What happened: went to tesco, came out and would Not turn over - starter gave one dieing groan for a second and stopped.

What I did: suspected battery although it was showing 12v, jumped off another car - no difference

Bought a new battery no difference

Recovered back to my drive

Next: starter off and tested, tested OK

Tested continuity in the cable from the battery+ to starter, all good (very minor surface corrosion)

Checked ignition fuse next to the battery, still intact

At this point I'd like to say:

All my keys still unlock and lock the car remotely and extinguish the immobiliser led

Fuel pump can be heard to prime

Upon key to start, nothing at all from the starter

Now I'm suspecting maybe continuity in the cable from the ignition system?

Blown relay? Not sure how likely that is

Another fuse I'm unaware of?

Any suggestions are welcome

Edited by Scully

I don't think the engine has seized but I'll try and turn it over by hand, I guess it's just a case of getting a wrench on the crack?

No warning lights of any kind

On the electrical side the 40A fuse infront of the battery and the 15A behind are fine, just need to find a diagram to show which relay is ignition.

have you tried bump starting it? Just make sure you turn off the traction control first. If it's an intermittent issue with the starter motor, bump starting will bypass that

+1 push start

Whoops, just noticed you said that before, sorry for stealing thunder :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah tried bumping it in tesco car park, although I didn't have traction switched off, would that have made much of a difference at 3mph though?

just put it in 3rd gear and rock the car backwards and forwards, you should see the engine turning/moving

• Like 1

I've got it on stands atm so just stuck a bar on the crank, and it's turns fine... I honestly think it's something to do with the ignition system.

Just got my sister to try and start it whilst I was measuring voltage

For reference the battery measured at 12.47v

As mentioned earlier the starter worked when tested with another 12V battery, as the main feed and acting as the feed from the ignition.

When measuring just now the starter was only receiving 3.36v through the ignition feed. I'm no expert my I'm sure that is meant to be 12v. I don't think 3.36v is enough to activate the circuit in the starter to allow the main battery feed through

I know this sounds stupid and I dont mean to be, but is there fuel in the car? I say that cause one of my mates said car wouldnt start and after checking absolutely everything realised is fuel gauge wasnt working and he had no fuel

It would still turn over with no fuel

Yeah there's fuel, I have a feeling I'm going to have to get some wiring diagrams and work my way through

I had a similar issue on another car and it took a while to find but it was a cable to the starter relay that had got water inside the casing and corroded the wire ! no outward signs of any problems, just took ages checking continuity until i found it.. problems can be that random :bangin:

good news it turns over :thumbs:

• Like 1

Are you sure, my brand new battery wasn't putting out that much from the shop

But any, with all my tinkering somehow there is now 12v through the signal cable on start, and it turned very slowly.

So I'm going to go ahead and change the starter and see what happens....