Differential rebuild advice

evilscorp

Hi guy's, took the Kaaz diff apart to set the locking to 60% rather than the 100% it comes with.

Issue I am having is lining everything back up and clamping it down to re fit the bolts (another issue is being kindly looked into by Ewen at Clarkmotorsports)

Too cold to work outside and my garage is too small atm, so the missus isn't pleased. :blush:

IMAG03231_zps9fd7f3a2.jpg

Just for peoples ref this is it in half and the gears inside

IMAG03241_zps356661ef.jpg

Trying to get it back together but dont want to force it,

IMAG03261_zpsb15d0fb8.jpg

As you can see from the photo once the inner gears are in place there isnt much room for the clutch plates to sit in grooves, the two spring plates at either side cause this.

IMAG03251_zps680d737a.jpg

Basically you have to line up the A type clutch plates in the inner semi circle grooves and the B type plates in the outer half rectangle groove, which is hard as they are all tight and you cant get your fingers inbetween once the cover is over. :wacko:

If you're sure everything is lined up pull it together with longer bolts then replace one at a time with the original.

Edit you could also use nuts and bolts in some of the crown wheel fitting holes.

Edited by a2orry

That is the issue hard to tell it's 100% lined up when the cover goes on, a slight twist could put the rectangular halves out of line and they need squished into the groves. Also quite an unusual shaped bolt so would struggle to get one that fits.

Think I just have to keep trying with the g clamps and small movements. Bloody rx7 kaaz diff looked a piece of pis on YouTube. Lol.

As above, you will need to provide some clamping load on the plate to get it to seat. If you are concerned get some longer bolts which are the correct diameter, to limit the chance of misalignment, to line up the holes in both sides. You don't necessarily need to put nuts on them just use them as alignment pins. The more you have the less likely it will be to move out of shape

Cheers guys went for it before I seen the reply's and yeah I was just being too soft. Needed to clamp quite hard and it all went in fine, started to torque up the bolts to 19NM as suggested and the allen heads started to strip so stopped. Its on tight and the ring gear bolts should hold it together anyway but waiting on Clark motorsports getting back to me as the manual says the bolts should be replaced each time (probably because they are made so cheese) and they supply you with one set of spares (which mine did not have :dry: ) never mind all good and set up for 60% lock. :D

Hi Evilscorp, i need to set my Kazz to 60% as well so your post of interest to me. Having never had an LSD apart before is it just a case of turning the clutch plates in pairs to achieve the required slip ?

Apart from the clamping issue did you run into any problems at all.

I think I actually took a gopro video of me taking it apart but its not really needed and is just me looking at the clutches for ages lol. I would maybe suggest clamping the cover down before removing the hex bolts as it will want to pop off and puts a bit of stress on the last bolt thats holding it together.