Gearbox Crunching

seanv1982

my gearbox has recently developed a crunching noise when changing from 4th to 6th gear. i took it in to nissan Waltham Abbey and they later on rang me to tell me they couldn't get it to make that noise. wheni went to collect the car later i told them it always makes the noise for me. they claim to have sent out 2 people in it and they couldn't find any noise. i said that it always does it between 4th and 6th. the manager said 'well u shouldn't change between 4th and sixth. the gearbox isn't meant to change straight between those gears' please somebody tell me that this is a load of crap before i type my complaint letter to his boss

are you getting the noise when you are changing from 4th to 6th or when going into 4th or 6th from a preceding gear

You will find known issue on here regarding gearbox issues if you do a search. Some owners have had there gearbox changed under warranty with a known crunching in 4th and 6th.

The issue is a known problem with the 6th gear synchro; this manifests as extreme difficulty engaging 6th gear from high revs in other gears (most notably 3rd or 4th but sometimes 5th). It does not affect downshifts (6->X) - normally anyhow.

If you have the above 6th gear issue, take it to a dealer (they should be aware of this problem) and they will road-test it and if they agree, replace the affected synchro (or even the entire box under warranty) but they do (did) have to send the gearbox away for inspection, so the car may be off the road for a while.

I have had this problem in my car ... if it is the same problem as mine it will happen every time you do the following : ( and tell the dealer to do this check...or better still take the technician/mechanic out to demonstrate.)

every time get up to speed in 4th and the RPM is over 2000rpm if you change to 6th it will crunch...

It is definetely a well known problem ( maybe your dealer has not had to deal with it yet, or maybe he does not want to deal with it...but it is a known problem )

As you say every time you accelerate on a slip road to the motorway to get to 70, once you get to the legal speed limit , you change to 6th and it crunches... typical driving, expected gear change method, and if they don't believe you , ask them to speak to NMGB about this concern...

and that you know NMGB are very familiar with this concern.

The concern is that the synchronizing related parts will be worn down, and the baulk ring clearance for 6th gear will have 0mm clearance and therefore the synchroniser was not working properly...Root cause is excessive wear of the baulk ring.

Don't let them tell you about chaging oil to see if it improves it...it won't . Tell them to agree with NMGB the warranty repair and get it done... I suspect it will require replacing with these parts...

Ring-Baulk->

HUB &SLEEVE SET 5th and 6th->

GEAR ASSY-6th, MAIN ->

(info from a friendly source... ;) )

if you need further ammo' let me know and I will find you extra info, :ninja:

or you can tell them to get in contact with my dealer and ask them why they repaired my car for exactly the same concern....

It will require the car to be out of action for a day and a half ...

I got it back and it is sweet now, no problem...for once i can say my dealer did not dissappoint, (apart from the fact that i had to have 3 visits before they agreed to repair it...)

Always ask to demonstrate the fault. Some of these people just can't see a problem it seems. If they will not let you demonstate the fault to them then get it all in writing from the service manager.

It's better to have these things just in case.

This forms part of a TSB for Nissan and a known 4th to 6th syncromesh issue. Depending on what they've got in stock, it's £600 of parts plus labour, or a new gearbox. Do a search on here and you'll find a couple of other threads...... ;)

thanks for all your replys. i'm just writing a letter and an email to the cutsomer relations dept of Nissan at the moment. just got a couple of prbably idiot questions, what's a TSB and who's NMGB?

A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin (IIRC) and NMGB are Nissan Motors Geat Britain (the UK importers / dealer franchise owner for Nissan in the UK)

Most dealers are aware of it, and if you call one locally to discuss it you might save yourself some time. The issue with this little problem, is that changing from a high rev speed from 4th to 6th puts you north of the speed limit. If you can demonstrate it yourself, then it is normally something the dealer accepts and gets on with. Have you taken the dealer out? Is it still under warranty? :)

thanks for that.

i tried calling them and complaining but the service manager at my local dealership (waltham abbbey) has always been very unhelpful. i did offer to take them out in it but it was near to closing time when i collected it and i was going on my hols the next day. i might try and arrange that.

yeah it's under warranty but only til then end of the month. this is why i think they're being so unhelpful

thanks for that.

i tried calling them and complaining but the service manager at my local dealership (waltham abbbey) has always been very unhelpful. i did offer to take them out in it but it was near to closing time when i collected it and i was going on my hols the next day. i might try and arrange that.

yeah it's under warranty but only til then end of the month. this is why i think they're being so unhelpful

I which case I STRONGLY recommend ringing NMGB and let them know of your situation ASAP. That way, it is logged centrally, not on a local dealer's system. I would then formally book it in with them and another dealer (if you have time) and you are getting an instant second opinion. It doesn't hurt reminding Waltham Abbey that you are aware a TSB was issued for this problem. ;)

Aslong as the fault is reported before your warranty ends they should do it under warranty even if you cant get the car to them until after the warranty has expired. You could also ask to speak to the warranty manager at the dealership - explain the situation to them & they should sort it :)

Aslong as the fault is reported before your warranty ends they should do it under warranty even if you cant get the car to them until after the warranty has expired. You could also ask to speak to the warranty manager at the dealership - explain the situation to them & they should sort it :)

You'd think so...... That's the very reason it took me 11 months to get mine sorted. They denied it. Logging it with NMGB will prevent any chance of it happening. ;):)

You'd think so...... That's the very reason it took me 11 months to get mine sorted. They denied it. Logging it with NMGB will prevent any chance of it happening. ;):)

Thats pretty poor :scare:

My window motor failed a week before the warranty ended so I booked it in straight away but it was a few weeks before they could fit me in - they then tried charging me £500+ for it because it was "out of warranty" - thats where the warranty maanger came into it - one call to them and it was done under warranty because it was logged before the warranty ends.

All depends on the dealer really :)

Exactly. It is down to the dealer. Therein lies the problem.....

I should clarify, my gearbox work was done immediately. It was another warranty issue around wheels that took 11 months.

That have now been fitted!! :yahoo: Brand new wheels, finished the detailing work on the body work too, and I'm quite liking the look at the moment! :D

• 3 years later...

thanks for that.

I which case I STRONGLY recommend ringing NMGB and let them know of your situation ASAP. That way, it is logged centrally, not on a local dealer's system. I would then formally book it in with them and another dealer (if you have time) and you are getting an instant second opinion. It doesn't hurt reminding Waltham Abbey that you are aware a TSB was issued for this problem. ;)

where can i find this TSB for the syncro? thanks im having similar issue cheers