Knocking and warning

HAMLNJ

Hi, needs some help.

I have had some knocking coming from the rear of the car (I think it's the rear) started off a very light knock, now getting worse. It's only at low speeds and happens on slightly rough roads. It also stops when I'm braking!?

So I took it down to my garage, they noticed that my front control arm bushes are a little worn, once siege pretty work and loose, but nothing bad. Going to get these changed. And the rear anti roll bars are slightly worn so doing them same with these. Worth changing to Polly pushes?

Anyway, they are not sure if that is the problem. We have a crow bar on every joint and moving part and nothing would make this noise...until......

We gave the rear axel a shake and this made this knocking noise. It's not making the notorious clicking noise but a thuddy slight knock. Is this the problem? Anyone had the same issue?

Car has been around the world a few times with a total of 112k on the clock. But looked after with a very good full service history.

As for the warning part of my subject, don't buy those cheap silenced decats, found both are blowing. With 11months of being on.

Thanks guys

Ian

Could be drop links, they are known to fail. Remove the one on the offending side and (carefully) drive round the block to see if the noise has gone.

If it's the front then it's most likely the banana arm bushes or ball joint (compression arm). When these fail you get a knock that usually goes when you brake, however it's at the front rather than the rear. They are almost impossible to diagnose by using traditional methods of moving components with a bar etc.

• Like 1

Cheap decats as in 2fast2cool on ebay ;)

Sorry to hear about your problems bud.

It's ok, I bought them from ryan on fire? I expect they all come from the same place in china. Now i have the scorpion I'm going to put my cats on for now and add a y pipe. When I have a few quid I'll get some HFCs. For the knocking it gives me a chance to change things to Polly bushes. Also putting new discs and pads, changing the gear box oil, diff oil and an engine service. Putting some tein springs on too. All good tlc!!