Student Insurance

Posidrive

Any insurance experts have any advice on this.

Son has just started university and since 1st year students are not generally allowed to park on campus we insured his car at our home address, so far all well and good. From next term he will have special dispensation to park on campus for reasons that we don't need to go into here, but will mean that for of the order of 20 weeks or less of this insurance year the car will be at a different address to that on the insurance forms.

Since this is less than half the year does this mean that we have to inform the insurances of a change to the address. The original forms had no concept of dual addresses.

Yes, it is best to tell the insurers. Typically, the insurers tend to rate the premium on where the car is kept most time-wise over the year so say if someone had 2 addresses, they may look to rate the premium on the address where the car is kept the most.

I have known insurers load premiums for students 'living away from home' so this is a material fact which needs to be considered by your insurers.

Sadly, our car insurance scheme starts at age 21 so we cannot help with a quote at this time.

Edited by Tim@Prestige

Did he have the car at uni this term? or did it stay at home where it was insured?

1st year students are generally not allowed to park on the campus so for the past term the car was parked at home where it is insured, I had to drive him to/from uni. so I can't see any insurances issues up to now, but we are now looking at him having his car on campus for the Spring and Summer terms

Edited by Posidrive