False Fuel Reading

-Bradders-

I know its been covered before i guess, but i've googled and i've types fuel sender into the forum search and it says nothing.

Basically i done a 26 mile trip last night with my fuel not even moving on the gauge, it was stationary, under the red, middle light constantly flashed UTE 3mls lol.. but i managed 26 and by the time i got home it managed to get up to a 1/4 of a tank, i know i had fuel in there as i put 25 quid in before i done 26 miles there to do 26 miles back lol. Normally i can just turn ignition off and on and it sorts itself out,l but last night oh no, it didnt want to play ball!!

Where on earth are the fuel senders? is there 2? im sure i read somewhere theres 2! where can i buy a replacement, i didnt see anything on ebay.

Thanks all.

Edited by -Bradders-

One in each side of the tank I believe, try giving them a clean before replacing, there's a procedure somewhere on here :)

Edit: I'm not 100% on the number of senders, will update once confirmed to avoid bad information.

Edited by AliveBoy

• 5 months later...

Great guide, but I have a quick suggestion to try first before going to the trouble of removing the senders.

When I bought the car in February this year (2004 350Z) I filled it up and the gauge would only read 3/4 of a tank, and it was like that consistently. Now as a habit, I always when buying a new car, put in a few treatments of RedX petrol additive (it's supposed to clean the injectors and such, but a lot of people believe it's pointless stuff). Anyway I eventually did it (when I saw redX on offer in Costco, 4 big bottles for like £12) and after the third treatment and full tank of fuel, the gauge now reads properly that I have a full tank. And there you have it. If it can clean the fuel injectors, then it can clean the fuel tank senders too.

Give it a go

• Like 3