IT help needed please!!!

Sarnie

Hi Guys

I have a laptop that uses a tiscalli broadband conncetion via a wireless router. This laptop will hold the connection all day long. I have bought a second laptop and am trying to connect to the net using the same wireless router but for some reason this laptop keeps dropping the connection every 5 - 10 mins or so which is very annoying!!! :rant:

I reckon a setting needs tweaking on one or both laptops to allow both of them to share the same connection but i don't have a clue

Can anyone help??????? :blush:

TIA

Check the channel setting - people with wireless problems usually fix them by setting the channel on their wireless router to a high number, then matching that on their client (laptop in your case). No science to back this up, just experience.

Other possibilities:

1) You have configured both clients (PC, laptop etc) with the same IP address. That makes you an idiot, and you have to send your Lambo to me NOW! :yahoo:

2) If you are losing wireless connectivitiy (0% coverage message, or "Lost connectivity" message) then you need to take your steel toothed dog collar off.

3) Open the Lambo doors, perhaps the connectivity will improve.

HTH

:teeth:

Netgear suck imo. For years they had a backdoor built in to all routers. You could access any network using netgear hardware. Refuse to use them now.

First thing to check is is there any other wireless networks broadcasting? Perhaps your laptop is detecting them and isn't set to stick to your one.

Next try this. Just found it.

1. Make sure that the wireless adapter is not set to use power

management features. Go to its entry in Device Manager and double-click

it to get its Properties. Now look on the Power Management tab and make

sure allowing Windows to turn off the device is not checked.

2. Update the drivers for the wireless adapter from the mftr.'s website.

3. Check on Netgear's website for your particular router model and see

if there are any known issues and if you have to update the firmware.

4. When you installed the wireless adapter, it probably came with a

wireless management program. Start that program and look in its

Preferences. If there is a place to check "allow Windows to manage

wireless connections", make sure you've done that.

Check the channel setting - people with wireless problems usually fix them by setting the channel on their wireless router to a high number, then matching that on their client (laptop in your case). No science to back this up, just experience.

Other possibilities:

1) You have configured both clients (PC, laptop etc) with the same IP address. That makes you an idiot, and you have to send your Lambo to me NOW! :yahoo:

2) If you are losing wireless connectivitiy (0% coverage message, or "Lost connectivity" message) then you need to take your steel toothed dog collar off.

3) Open the Lambo doors, perhaps the connectivity will improve.

HTH

:teeth:

How do i check what channel the router is set too?

I never set up the ip address at all. I just turned the laptop on and connected to my network and went from there. The laptop was previously owned by my old man who used it on his network with no probs............

No, the first thing to check is if your"old man" used it, and you just plug it in to your network - all kinds of shiznit might be wrong. It shouldn't be this complicated but we aren't out of the Dark Ages yet.

If he is using DHCP then you should get an IP address ok - check that by doing Start --> Run --> cmd

Then type in ipconfig /all

Do the same thing on both compootahs.

Remind me - when you say the connection drops, what error do you get? Any windows pop up on your screen saying "connection lost" or "wireless etc lost"?

So are we assuming that the problem is with the router even though it works fine with my other laptop? :blush:

Nope. All the info you need is in a very few steps. Odd's are if you go through the steps you'll find and fix the problem.

The IP would only be an issue if your Da used a static IP for wireless connections himself.

I use a static IP on my Lan connection for work but DHCP for my wireless router at home. I could use static but I have it locked down with mac addresses instead.

Router would be DCHP by default. That means it automatically issues your laptops with individual IPs.

No, the first thing to check is if your"old man" used it, and you just plug it in to your network - all kinds of shiznit might be wrong. It shouldn't be this complicated but we aren't out of the Dark Ages yet.

If he is using DHCP then you should get an IP address ok - check that by doing Start --> Run --> cmd

Then type in ipconfig /all

Do the same thing on both compootahs.

Remind me - when you say the connection drops, what error do you get? Any windows pop up on your screen saying "connection lost" or "wireless etc lost"?

Just ran tha t check but what am I looking for?

When the connection drops nothing happens other than internet pages won't load and i have right click on the wireless icon and 'repair' the connections or go into it find my network on the list and click 'connect' to it again...... :rant:

FS Sarnie! Why cant your IT problems be simple like everyone else.

Can you post the model number of the router and possibly the make/model of the laptop and wireless adaptor? Will take a look online.

Got to get to bed. New system going in this week. Need sleep.

Cant beat good old Cat5, lol.

Dude not a clue what the problem is but it must be something to do with it sharing the wireless. Firstly this shouldnt be a problem as it should be able to take multiple devices.

Id go with the IP addresses conflicting. If it is fixed then it should be ok as they should be unique, if they are floating, id guess that when they are assigned they are the same for your router so its getting confused when the packets are being sent.

Without seeing it, i cant really tell.

How about a hammer?

FS Sarnie! Why cant your IT problems be simple like everyone else.

Can you post the model number of the router and possibly the make/model of the laptop and wireless adaptor? Will take a look online.

Got to get to bed. New system going in this week. Need sleep.

Will post up details tomorrow :thumbs: Many thanks!!!! :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to be sorted now. :thumbs:

One thing i was thinking about.....................can i just pack up my wireless router...............take it to another address..........and just plug it in to the phone line.........and carry on using my own connection with my own provider etc or is not that easy? :headhurt: