Help needed: key pairing/car battery/starting issue :(

MDMetal

For awhile now my cars been unhappy unlocking and locking itself, dying key battery I thought. When I bought the car it had two keys although the guy said the second one had never been paired just cut. So this morning I got the second key out and did the pairing procedure. (6 turns on-off, hold unlock, hit lock 3 times then release) all seemed to go well I removed the key, it now locked and unlocked the car fine however when I tried to start it nothing, just turning over chur chur chur sounds, CD player went into secure mode. I tried again a few times, then tried the old key, cd player works fine car refuses to start again, I'm wondering if this is now battery related or if I flooded the engine. Left the car for awhile, tried again, same result. Finally just before calling a taxi I tried again and it started. However I'm concerned about what might happen tonight.

I may have pulled the key out at the end instead of the final step to do Off-on-off again. Could this cause the key to work fine but the car to refuse to start with it? I couldn't understand why the old key worked and the new one didn't in regards to the cd player. What does the car need to start? I'd assumed it was just the key? but does it need power in the key to unlock to car when it's in the ignition? I'd assumed if a key turned in the ignition it was all good but maybe it requires the electronic aspect which is what worries me. I don't want to change the battery in the old fob until the new one works!

Anyone have any thoughts? Would be greatly appreciated!

Looks like its a key/immobiliser issue.Tried again tonight, followed the guide procedure exactly, 6 turns on-off, hold unlock, hit lock 3 times, turn on off again, the car replies correctly. The key unlocks the car but won't disarm the immobiliser. What's wrong? should a correctly cut key just need the pairing procedure to work ok?

Yah, I've had a read and it's really not clear, the guides are for keyless entry which I've done and work fine, my issue is the key not disarming the immobilizer, sounds like there's a second procedure for that which only a dealer can do, making the keyless entry procedure kind of pointless!

You can try taking an immobiliser chip out of a first key and sticking it in the second. It is a little black thingy wedged in the left corner of a key in your first picture. It is not glued, just wedged in there. Disconnecting a battery in the first key will have no effect on it. I don't know whether it will work though, just an idea that could theoretically work.