Erratic tachometer (of a different kind?)

nodge69

Ok I know there have been various issues around the tachometer but I think I've got something different going on here. I've scoured the forum but apologies if it has been covered before. I've had the car a few weeks and thought I'd noticed it on the test drive but put it down to paranoia. But it seems to be getting worse.

Basically the motion on the needle on my rev counter isn't smooth, it seems to move in jumps especially in the first 1/3 of travel. I'm not talking about the jumpy needle upon changing gear which I know quite a few people (including me) have, or the needle sticking completely like some Roadster owners have suffered in sunlight.

Here's a quick video of what I mean.

It's actually more noticeable when driving but you can see it in this video mostly when the needle is falling. It doesn't seem to correspond to the engine revs. The "pause" as the revs fall past 1400 RPM I think is also another issue which some people have experienced?

I'm thinking obviously the counter mech itself, the engine speed sensor or least likely an ECU or wiring issue. I guess the engine speed is detected from the crackshaft angle sensor which I think is located next to the flywheel? It's an HR.

If it's just the counter then no big deal though this car is still under a warranty so I should be able to get it sorted. If it's the sensor then I'm more worried about it affecting the performance of the engine, though I have to admit it seems to drive fine. Maybe a little rough at very low revs though I suspect it still has the original plugs in there, trying to find out at the moment.

Sorry that went on a bit - any comments or suggestions welcome! :thumbs:

Hi jimboy, yes I've done all of the possible resets but it didn't help at all. Still, can't be any harm in doing them anyway! :) Thanks for the reply though, just knowing that yours doesn't look like mine is helpful in that I know something is wrong.

I do get a bit of hesitation when in low speed traffic in 2nd gear, probably around the 1k to 1.5k RPM range. I don't think the plugs have ever been changed, though I'm still waiting to find out from the Nissan dealer who did all of the servicing before I bought the car. I guess it could be that a proper service is in order.

I'm in agreement with Nodge, I'd have a go a cleaning the throttle body first off. There is plenty of info to read regarding this so as you don't **** it up, as long as you don't do anything daft you should be OK, plus the sense of achievement will give you confidence in attacking other jobs.

Ok thanks for all the info everyone. :thumbs: I'm quite happy tackling jobs on cars, have done quite a bit in my time though I guess all of the scary stories around the throttle body has just made me nervous. I'll get in there sometime over the coming weekends, and then try the MAF sensors too if there is no improvement. The Uprev remap would be nice but I'll have to save a few more pennies first!

Btw I have discovered that the plugs have never been changed so I'll get that sorted soon with a major service.

Edited by nodge69

I seem to have fixed the hesitation issue on my car! :clap: I performed the Exhaust Valve Timing Control Learning procedure and now the performance at low revs, especially going into second gear is much better. I haven't seen any reference to this procedure on this forum but I found it in the service manual. From reading some of the threads on an American forum it seems some people think that the mechanism can be affected by different engine oils. The dealer who sold me the car did a mini service when I bought it which might explain why I didn't experience it on the test drive.

My rev needle movement has improved but it's still a bit jerky. Time to get the tools out this weekend I reckon! :)

Please let me know how it goes

No probs! I used the 08 service manual available here http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/350Z/coupe/2008_Coupe+Roadster/EC.pdf (page 76) but in short you need to do this:

1. Start engine and warm it up to normal operation temperature.

2. Set shift lever in neutral position and confirm that following electrical or mechanical loads are not applied.

- Headlamp switch is OFF

- Air conditioner switch is OFF

- Rear defogger switch is OFF

- Steering wheel is in the straight-ahead position, etc

3. Keep the engine speed between 1,800 and 2,000 rpm at 20 seconds.

It's pretty simple though I found holding the revs constant to be quite difficult. On my car the revs hunted around a bit despite the pedel being held still though maybe that is the calibration in progress. I found it best to get to just over 1800 RPM as it will rise slightly before falling again. I turned the engine off after performing the above and then restarted and went for a test drive. I did this last night and the difference was very noticeable straight away. I did a cold to hot cycle this morning driving to work and it continued to behave itself. Hope it works for you! :)

Aww that's annoying. Did you try it a few times? I've no idea how easy it is to get it right, I may have just been lucky. Shame there isn't any feedback to show the calibration has been completed. I know that this procedure can also be done with the Nissan CONSULT-III service device which does give feedback. I guess Nissan would charge quite a lot though with no guarantee of a fix.

Tried it today but no change whatsoever :(

There are a few on eBay at the moment but for silly money. The software (obviously pirated) is also available quite cheap along with some chinese copy interfaces. Still a few hundred quid with no guarantee that it will work though. Anyway, hope you find a solution for your problem mate, sorry it didn't work for you!

• Like 1