Heat Shield Query

Devilz101

I'm getting my exhaust replaced because the pipework on the original one has given up (the connection of the pipes between the resonator and muffler has fallen to bits if anyones interested). Seems like a good opportunity to upgrade to a Cobra system from CougarStore.

The garage doing the work have taken off my existing exhaust and said the heat shield is knackered. Anyone else had this and if so whats the best way to replace it?

Thanks

Not on the back box itself (I don't have oem) I mean the flimsy bit of metal bolted to the under body of the car above the back box area..

I know exactly which one you mean as mine decided to drop onto my exhaust on the M40 on the way back from the Ace Cafe. The almighty clatter it made scared the bejesus out of me! :scare:

The issue was (and I'm guessing yours maybe the same) is that it had corroded around all 4 mounting points, so the flanged nuts no longer hold it in place. Give the 4 nuts a squirt of WD40, remove them (10mm socket) and then refit the heat shield with the largest washers you can find. Simples. :thumbs:

But I do think you could also get away with removing it altogether. Just means your boot might get a bit warm.

No worries :thumbs: Just be careful with the 4 nuts and threaded pins they're attached to. As they're corroded they could shear quite easily. And if 3 or more of them shear, then you'll have to remove the heatsheild cos you'll have nothing to attach it to!

Give them a good spray of penetrating fluid/WD40 and don't try to remove the nuts in one go. Undo them part the way, then tighten them back up a few turns, then undo them a bit further, tighten up, undo, you get the idea. :)

Good luck!