Ex-Demo Cars - Would You?

KS2006

Hi All,

Just wondering what other peoples views are on this subject. I've seen a couple of ex-demo cars (313 models) with a not to bad discount on them. However they have all done between 2.5-4k miles (within probably 2-3 months).

So would you go for that knowing you have the warranty etc to in theory back you up or would you think - I know that they are going to have been thrashed by every tom dick & harry.

Thoughts?

Hi KS2006,

I too have been thinking about this one. I'm not ready to buy yet (hoping around Feb) but have started off the process of seeing what kind of offers there are. I guess it depends on what kind of an offer they are giving you. Assuming it's worth while then I would think it should be ok.

I was worried they would have been thrashed but you could buy a 6 month old privately and it could have been thrashed. I guess just check all the wheels and inside for scuff marks but I suppose you can't really tell how it's been driven previously.

I have also seen a few places offering deals on new ones, especially by the end of Sept so you could grab a bargain on a new one. Depends again on how good the offers are you have been given.

Do you want me to send over any contact details via PM or anything? :thumbs:

Hi,

The savings seem to be on convertibles (which wouldn't put me off). The one's I've seen seem to be anywhere from 2.5-4k ish off. For the mileage I do it would make little odds as I would still be under the yearly average even with 3-4k of ex demo mileage.

I'm not sure if I want to go to my local dealer and chance my arm on a new one and say here's what your competing with what you gonna offer.

Heck any information that helps me get a good deal feel free to PM me!!

Not in a month of Sundays, I made the mistake of buying an ex demo R1, lovely bike but rough as nails, not good for a machine that had 2.5k on it when I got it.

The problem I feel is that you just don't know what's been done to the car, in my opinion you're more likely to get a well looked after car from someone who is selling privately than an ex demo car.

Yeah thats the worry I guess.

Can you tell during the test drive or is it going to bite you in the bum a few thousand miles down the road when it needs a premature clutch/gearbox/engine.

I don't know if any dealers hide amongst the members here but how many demo's would you think would be done in a week and how many miles clocked up. It just seems like 3-4k miles in 3 months approx (at best) is a fair old go. I just wonder if they get driven by the manager and then used for the occasional demo during the day.

Saw a temper orange vert with nav just under <30k amongst others (saving over 3k) and when I looked further there are a few others around (mainly convertibles - probably the winter coming and needing to shift 07 demo cars).

Temptation is bad!!! :angry:

Most demos are driven by the manager but don't let that put you off. I've also found many love the car and look after it. When the dealer called me today on an unrelated mater he asked how "his car was". He actually hates the two versions of the z prior to the 07.

Is Dan about?

Can you tell during the test drive or is it going to bite you in the bum a few thousand miles down the road when it needs a premature clutch/gearbox/engine.

I reckon you're right, or at least you would hope so. :)

I don't know if any dealers hide amongst the members here but how many demo's would you think would be done in a week and how many miles clocked up. It just seems like 3-4k miles in 3 months approx (at best) is a fair old go. I just wonder if they get driven by the manager and then used for the occasional demo during the day.

Maybe they've been used for some promotional track work too. Just a thought. Or as the others say dealers drive.

Mine was an ex demo - had 3777 miles on her when I bought her at just under 5 months old.

Absolutely no problem at all with her and no issues whatsoever that were related to being an ex demo.

I'm sure that Nissan build quality is more than a match for a few thousand miles of bad behaviour - this is a sports car after all. Besides which you've got the manufacturer warranty to fall back on.

I'd be very, very worried if a Z could be killed within a few thousand miles by a bit of spirited driving.

Also bear in mind that there is far less need to run an engine in these days (depending on who you believe/what you read there is an argument that there isn't any need).

I didn't, haven't and wouldn't worry about it :thumbs: