Lost locking when nut key!

liamgdr

Went to remove my wheels today and I couldn't find the key, I think i left it on my attached last time I used it so it could be anywhere by now.

Im contemplating using the "whack a similar sized socket on to the nut" method but I have to do all 4 wheels and want to avoid any damage the best I can.

Has anyone on here had any luck removing locking wheel nuts without the key?

Cheers, Liam.

Liam you can get emergency locking key removal tools. Like in the below link.

Link: http://www.screwfix....CFVDKtAodKygAXw

Never had to use one myself but just fyi. :thumbs:

I've used these myself (got mine from Halfords) they are good but the downside is they will chew up your locking nut on the outside (so will whacking on an oversize socket) they have a right hand tapered thread inside, slip one over your locking nut and the thread will cut into it as you tighten it on (tighten anti-clockwise), once off i found i had to put the nut which was peeking out from the lazer socket into a vice to get it out so i could do the rest. You can use the nuts again but they do look well chewed up on the outside..

Do you know the make ? I had mcgard and lost the key, sent them a photo of the locking wheel nut with some vehicle details together with £18 and they sent me a new key

Unfortunately I don't, its shiny so must have been fitted recently by the previous owner.

Do you know the make ? I had mcgard and lost the key, sent them a photo of the locking wheel nut with some vehicle details together with £18 and they sent me a new key

Ive just been looking at locking wheel nuts, I've noticed the ones on my car are also mcgard, how long did it take for you to get your replacement key?

Did you need a product code, the description on halford's website says there is an infinite amount of patterns so I don't understand how they would make a replacement key.

Liam.

Edited by liamgdr

I lost mine in the very same way a few months back. Went to the local Nissan dealer they found the one that fit using their master set and 24 hours later and £18 lighter I had a brand new one!! I have Rays btw.

Good luck :thumbs:

I tried the supplying nissan dealer but they were no help, good shout though as mcgard are fitted as an option by nissan

Im contemplating using the "whack a similar sized socket on to the nut" method but I have to do all 4 wheels and want to avoid any damage the best I can.

Thats exactly what I did for my mate who had lost his locking wheel nut key.

I used an impact socket and a couple of hits with a lump hammer easily got it on the alloy wheel nut. Then a breaker bar unscrewed it nicely. Had to clamp socket in vice and drive the butchered locking wheel nut out of it after each one, but if you take your time you wont cause any damage to the wheels.

Have you tried knocking on a slightly smaller socket onto the offending locking nut, I mean knocking it on hard with a hammer and giving it a few sharp whacks then using a breaker bar attached to the hammered on socket make sure that the handbrake is on tight and using brute strength to twist the breaker bar. This has always when I've helped friends out before. To remove the locking nut from the socket use either a length of screwed stick or an old punch to free them and hope you've not damaged the socket too much.