Any 370z users running 18" alloys? Care to comment on differences over 19"ers?

Dynamic Turtle

I've heard that 18 offers a better ride quality, and traction in some circumstances. I'm finding out what I can and should report back. Quite like the look of the motoiq project car which is running on 18s

• Like 1

So I take it that's a giant NO then. Surprised to hear this given the alleged improvements to ride quality?

Where has it been said the ride quality is better on 18" wheels? Given less than 50 base Zeds were registered in this country and I suspect several came with the optional 19" wheels anyway, I doubt there is a very informed opinion this side of the pond.

Apart from which, 18" wheels on the same 40/35 profiles would be lost in the 370 arches and if you are saying it is because they use higher profiles then the car would be wallowing around like a jelly and completely undermise the handling, IMO - one of the 370's foremost benefits .

I have a base with 18s , the nissan salesman I bought it from said of the two he had in stock he preferred driving the base one as 18s were a "smoother ride".

Don't think it was a sales pitch as the gt was cheaper due to the mega high mileage it had.

I've only driven a gt once but did find the ride with 19s noticeably harder than mine .. but not sure how much better handling is with 19s as didn't give it much as I do mine in the bends - as the salesman was with me.

I have no issues with 18s maybe look a little small but I like the fact it is different to other ones I see.

Hope that helps ..

Edited by Brayster
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'm still considering switching to 18" wheels, but still have much to learn. These are some of the questions I am reading up to find answers on:

I'd like to know whether 18x9.5 front and 18x10.5 rear will go straight in or whether it will require messing about with the geometry.

I also want to know about the required offsets for the standard car (one that hasn't got any trick suspension parts).

I've found a detailed tyre calculator to figure out things like contact area and tyre stiffness: http://bndtechsource.ucoz.com/index/tire_data_calculator/0-20

As for wheels I'd like to keep the weight down and the JDM look. However the OZ Ultraleggera look lovely in my opinion. Enkei PF01 do too, but are only available in silver (my car has the Smoked Chrome wheels). The classic six spoke Rays look is cool, but I don't know which is best!

Obviously there's the whole issue of tyre choice on top of this. I am looking to get better traction for all those horses and take advantage of the better ride quality of the 18" vs 19" wheel.

Lots to learn. I shall report back.

• Like 1