Calling all 350z Exhaust Experts.

WhackyWill

I have bought a new SS Cobra back box from a Member on here and have a few questions.

Will it bolt straight onto the existing original centre pipe without any modifications. ? :surrender:

Is it worth changing the orignal centre pipe. ? :surrender:

Will there be much difference in sound with just the Cobra back box and no other mods to it. :surrender:

If I was to change the centre section, what's the best to go for, taking into account my wallet..!! :surrender:

2893451194082.png

in answer to your questions, no, it wont fit on the standard centre pipe. either get just a cobra mid pipe, or a fabricator to make you up one. You can also decide whether you want a centre resonator in there or not. the most cost effective will be a custom straight pipe, but it will be louder if you don't put a centre resonator in.

yes, it is worth changing the original centre pipe. even if it did fit, it'll be old and mild steel and very rusted. stainless will be lifetime warrantied.

yes, there will be a big difference in sound by just swapping the back box. for starters, the standard back box is at least three times the size of the cobra box, and has a lot more chambers and muffling. the cobra box is basically a free flowing t junction with a bit of cladding.

• Like 1

Ones louder than the other :)

Thanks Grundy a man of few words...which is which and why.... :teeth:

COuldn't answer the last bit due to I'd get it the wrong way round :lol: I'm guessing the why is to do with the internals of the box.
  • Like 1

None resonated is louder as its a straight through pipe, resonated is quieter... :)

Thanks CS, I would need the Resonated one then as I don't want to annoy

(well not much anyway) the neighbours. ;)

Honestly, I doubt it will be stupidly loud with standard Cats.

2013-11-30131106_zps363d7675.jpg

That was mine and with de-cats/y pipe all one piece etc

I was scared it would be toooo loud. But it's perfect, the back box's work miracles.

• Like 1

None resonated is louder as its a straight through pipe, resonated is quieter... :)

Thanks CS, I would need the Resonated one then as I don't want to annoy

(well not much anyway) the neighbours. ;)

Honestly, I doubt it will be stupidly loud with standard Cats.

2013-11-30131106_zps363d7675.jpg

That was mine and with de-cats/y pipe all one piece etc

I was scared it would be toooo loud. But it's perfect, the back box's work miracles.

What system is that, ?

A resonated exhaust just means the soundwaves bounce around a bit inside a chamber in the exhaust (the resonator), and in doing so some of the sound frequencies (often the droning) become less pronounced/ cancel each other out. Therefore a non resonated exhaust will likely be a little deeper and a little louder on start up, and then there is more risk of droning while cruising. Personally I would get a pipe with a resonator built in, even if it costs a little more.

• Like 1

I'd go for resonated too Will - I've got a resonated Cobra back box and mid-pipe with Stillen Y-Pipe and Berk HFCs.

Cobra back box and mid-pipe on it's own made a real difference and sounded good - more sporty but without the droning which makes long drives comfortable. Added the HFCs to make it sound a bit more meaty which it does and still doesn't drone anymore than it did.

Sounds just how I want it to - and as you're not too far from me you're welcome to pop down and have a hear of it yourself if you like :thumbs:

I'd go for resonated too Will - I've got a resonated Cobra back box and mid-pipe with Stillen Y-Pipe and Berk HFCs.

Cobra back box and mid-pipe on it's own made a real difference and sounded good - more sporty but without the droning which makes long drives comfortable. Added the HFCs to make it sound a bit more meaty which it does and still doesn't drone anymore than it did.

Sounds just how I want it to - and as you're not too far from me you're welcome to pop down and have a hear of it yourself if you like :thumbs:

Thanks mate , appreciate that. :thumbs: