Decat Pros and Cons

badCOK

No truth at all, your right foot controls fuel consumption.

They can sound raspy and crap, but a quality resonated pair should be fine. You'll have to swap your old cats back in once a year for the MOT.

Unless you're going to remap for the extra power, or are after ultra weight saving, I wouldn't bother.

pro - when combined with a remap and other supporting mods, can release a few extra ponies.

pro - lighter than standard cats

pro - can add a raspiness to exhaust note, and make it louder.

con - a decat will fail an mot emmissions test.

con - a racing high flow cat will need to be nice and hot before it will pass an MOT emissions test.

con - can add a raspiness to exhaust note, and make it louder.

I fitted mine yesterday and discovered another con lol. Took ages and an angle grinder to get the seized bolts off and also have had to get new lambda sensors as I can't get the originals off the cats without breaking them! :dry:

I fitted mine yesterday and discovered another con lol. Took ages and an angle grinder to get the seized bolts off and also have had to get new lambda sensors as I can't get the originals off the cats without breaking them! :dry:

heat them up mate, they are not steel so not so simple to remove with just a spanner. Talking blowtorch hot, and dont burn the wires obviously!

They should come out relitively easily

• Like 1

I have straight through's and when I 1st got them they were as Ekona said "raspy".

But they soon settled down and now I don't hear them at all.

In fact I don't hear anything when the engine is running other than the ARK Exhaust playing it's tune.

If your going to have an uprev then yes change them but not just for the sake of it.

heat them up mate, they are not steel so not so simple to remove with just a spanner. Talking blowtorch hot, and dont burn the wires obviously!

They should come out relitively easily

My mate suggested doing this too, I might give it a go. Can always sell the old sensors and get some money back.

Some advice for those amateur mechanics out there that want to try and fit their own decats. Don't. :angry:

I managed to get one on in about 4/5 hours and promptly gave up, it was the most arse aids thing I've tried to do on a car.

Why was it so difficult? Planning on fitting mine myself

Well, if you've got a trolley jack and a limited number of tools like myself then getting to a few of the bolts is a total, total pain in the arse.

Okay, I think the fact that I was doing it in 30 degree heat didn't help but it was far more hassle than it was worth.. I'd rather do a few hours over time at work and pay someone to do it next time. :lol:

:D from my build thread.

• Like 1

Some advice for those amateur mechanics out there that want to try and fit their own decats. Don't. :angry:

I managed to get one on in about 4/5 hours and promptly gave up, it was the most arse aids thing I've tried to do on a car.

Why was it so difficult? Planning on fitting mine myself

Well, if you've got a trolley jack and a limited number of tools like myself then getting to a few of the bolts is a total, total pain in the arse.

Okay, I think the fact that I was doing it in 30 degree heat didn't help but it was far more hassle than it was worth.. I'd rather do a few hours over time at work and pay someone to do it next time. :lol:

:D from my build thread.

Haha ah yes so you did :lol: Yep you were right it was a PITA but my mate helped me with it at work and we had a good set of tools.