Rear drivers side caliper.... oops.

-Bradders-

Right so after being a total cockend. I removed the passenger side piece of cake, as some of you know i'm currently changing my brakes.

Well so i start the drivers side, stuggle a bit with the brake line, but after a bit of aircraft strength wd40 stuff, it came off, so i take the top bolt off, thats fine, bottom one the linkage arm is in the way, so i get the spanner on it, not taking note as to which way i was turning it, it was a little stiff, so i call dad over (big lad) and say dad kick this lol... dad sure enough kicks it good and boom, off snaps the head. was tightening it not loosening it. rooky mistake lol.

was so pi**ed off as i can happily turbo a honda, but cant take a friggin bolt off a caliper!!!!!!

Grrrrr

Anyway, its fine, take a breath, look at the situation... just needs drilling out its fine.

Anyway, crack on drilling it, notice the last guy we lent the drill bits too has demolished them. so its taking ages to do, dad being pi**ed off that someones ruined his drill bits starts wiggling the drill all over the shot, not realising he's now gone out the thread lol...

garage next door owner turns up, he's got some new drill bits, sweeet, gives it to dad, wooosh, its through in no time... hold it up.. its gone through at like a 15 degree angle lol, now the hole is about 2mm bigger and at a dodgy angle, no idea how to fix that although i have a friend taking it away for me tonight to look at it..

So in the mean time, sorry for the comedy story.. but i may need a rear caliper very soon.

Anyone got one lol?

cheap as poss :) i'll know by tomorrow if i need it 100%

Or does anyone know someone who could possibly ally weld it and re drill and tap?

Thanks in advance..

doh.

get the caliper on a bench and drill out the hole straight and oversize then pop in a threaded insert of the correct inner dimension and thread pitch (Helicoil) with some thread lock or something. and bobs your uncle....

• Like 1

im many cases the helicoil ends up being stronger than the original part! i had to get a spark plug thread helicoiled and the machine company did it with the engine in place and with no need to strip the top end down! (not on the zed i have to say!)

Ok so its all sorted. Drilled and helicoiled but now.... Fml. Bleed nipple has snapped on the other caliper loool. Im not even mad anymore its beyond worth stressing about. Any tips? Do i need to drill it out again? All the others seemed ok except this one and one other which hasnt snapped... Yet lol