Problems with wheel vibration

Justthejedi

Hi all

I have a problem with wheel vibration from 75mph+ after fitting new aftermarket 18" alloys. I ordered a set of spigot rings, size 74.1-66.6, 3x fit fine, the problem is the o/s/f hub, when fitting the ring there is very slight play, and I mean very slight play but it seems enough to make the wheel vibrate @ 75mph+. It fits into the wheel fine, nice and tight.

I had a replacement ring sent, tried that, exactly the same problem, just very slight play when fitted over the hub.

I have found out the hub size on 350's is 66.1 but cannot find this size anywhere to buy, nobody seems to do them so they send 66.6 instead.

I have had all wheels balanced so can't be that.

Any help/advise would be really appreciated as I'm at a bit of a loss. :surrender:

Cheers

so 2 rings of the same size dont fit on your hub and there the size your hubs meant to be?

sounds like your hubs worn away which seems very odd in itself have you fitted the one that dont fit on the opposite wheel to see if the issue moves?

I haven't got the facilities to change them myself, I took the car to a Formula 1 centre and they were really good lads to be fair. They said x3 of the rings fitted nice and tight but when fitting the ring onto the o/s/f originally there was slight play on the hub and in the wheel which caused vibration @ 50mph+, I had a replacement ring sent, this one fitted nice and tight into the wheel (the tyre guy showed me) but when put on the hub, still very slight play.

I think I'll go back and ask them to swap the front wheels around. Then take it for a drive.

Didn't have this issue when the original wheels were on.

I haven't got the facilities to change them myself, I took the car to a Formula 1 centre and they were really good lads to be fair. They said x3 of the rings fitted nice and tight but when fitting the ring onto the o/s/f originally there was slight play on the hub and in the wheel which caused vibration @ 50mph+, I had a replacement ring sent, this one fitted nice and tight into the wheel (the tyre guy showed me) but when put on the hub, still very slight play.

I think I'll go back and ask them to swap the front wheels around. Then take it for a drive.

Didn't have this issue when the original wheels were on.

make sure the swap spigot rings and make sure you havent got directional tyres of they cant swap them side to side

• 2 weeks later...

Well the saga continues.....had the correct size spigot rings made from a company called spigotrings.com. (74.1 - 66.1) had the front wheels rebalanced just to be safe and I still have wheel vibration @ 70+mph? So will take it Back to the tyre place on Wednesday to have the rears re-balanced and if that doesn't cure it I'm completely stumped.

Has anybody else had this problem???

Had no problems running on original touring wheels, car drove fine, fitted new wheels and now have a wheel vibration @70mph+

I can feel it through the steering wheel and see it from the gear stock vibrating. The wife thinks I'm being paranoid but I'm not, it defo isn't right. The spigot rings are a perfect tight fit, front wheels balanced spot on so I'm hoping the rears now need re-balancing and will cure it?

if it isn't then I'm completely baffled.

This is a real mystery, I have never had problems like this before. I have heard of people changing to a bigger wheel and it exposing problems previously hidden by original wheels but I've stuck to the same size. The tyre place had to put a tube in one of the rears to get it to inflate as they had problems in stretching the tyre over the rim (9.5). could this be the problem?

If you are getting vibes through the steering wheel then it has got to be fronts.

Going with the information that you have provided, guess that you have a buckled wheel or the wheel is not mating with the hub.

Alex. :)

• Like 1

Took the car to a new tyre place and they found that all x4 wheels had not been balanced correctly by the previous tyre place, 25g out on the front, 55g on the rears! This has helped but there is still a vibration @ 75mph+. It's not as bad as it was but it's still there bugging me! I've now been told it could be my rear tyres as they are stretched to the limit to fit over the 9.5 rim and they are distorting.

One of them has a tube in it so they could inflate it. Could this be causing the wheel wobble?

I'm thinking the tube could be the problem too. From the feedback I have had from other members, they had no issues in fitting the standard rear tyres over a 9.5 rim. It took Formula 1 autocentre an hour to inflate one wheel, they couldn't even inflate the other so ordered a tube so they could stretch the tyre over the rim and to cap it all, they're equipment is out of calibration.