Car Covers

Jp606

Thought this was more suited to the detailing forum as it's more about keeping the car clean.

I'm thinking about getting a fitted cover for my Z as I only use it at the weekends now, I wash it every Sunday then it sits outside all week, so sometimes it's covered in dust and spiders webs when I get in it on Saturday. Are covers safe to use? I'm thinking it may introduce swirls to the paintwork when I put it on and off and the car may sweat underneath when it's hot? What is everyone's thoughts?

Personally I would never use one but lot's of people do especially when they don't use the car very often.

Your car though will need to be super clean imo before you attempt to put any sort of cover on. Washed/dried and waxed I would imagine to be best although I'd have thought just washed & dried would be ok.

I know zmanalex used to sell the genuine Nissan made outdoor car covers for around £150 so maybe worth asking him if he still sells them. You can get them from Nissan main dealers but then it's probably more like £250-£300. Of course there is always eBay which will probably sell none genuine versions for £29.99. :lol:;)

Yeah I have a very strict cleaning and detailing routine, so it will be clean before I cover it up.

That's good ~ Definitely for the best to take your time cleaning it first as you mentioned you wouldn't want to put scratches/swirl marks on the paint. ;)

Make sure you get a good fitting one though and also make sure that it's designed for outdoor use as some are just meant for inside garages etc from what I've seen.

Think the genuine Nissan ones also came with a padlock to make sure the cover can't be stolen.

Edited by GMballistic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not so keen myself as you'd need a cover with a cotton interior so as to stop the plastic from sweating and leaving marks on the paint if the wind were to blow it about. I would have thought you'd have had to leave the windows open an inch or two each or so for exactly the same reason, although I could be wrong.

• Like 1

I use a indoor cover for in the garage to prevent dust & spider pooh (yes, its the only thing I can work out what it is. Tiny white specks like bird pooh but a lot smaller). The cover is breathable and soft.

Only use if if the car is clean.

Going to pick up a three layer breathable one tomorrow to see how it goes.

Car is kept pristine as it is and I will notice if I start to get any marks on the paintwork, so will see what it's like.