JDM Speedo gone mental

Vlad

My mate's mum recebtly bought DE import...

Now her speedo goes mental ocasionally (not constant)... it just shows different random speed etc

Here's a video of the car. Car is stand still as well.

Note that mileage goes up as well...

Anyone any ideas?

I think possibly dodgy speed converter? All other dials are fine.

Edited by Vlad

Had exactly the same buddy, there is a post somewhere. I tried a replacement converter and it still did the same. Swapped to a set of uk clocks and been fine since :)

Oh cool! I got spare set of clocks, so will try them. Thanks :)

No idea sorry Vlad but put that video on Youtube as the fastest 350Z doing 100-140mph and you'll get a million hits. :lol:;)

Then just get some advertising on the video and watch the money roll in. :yahoo:

Haha already on YouTube...so just a bit of advertising left to do lol if it works - 10% is yours lmao

• Like 2

No idea sorry Vlad but put that video on Youtube as the fastest 350Z doing 100-140mph and you'll get a million hits. :lol:;)

Then just get some advertising on the video and watch the money roll in. :yahoo:

Haha already on YouTube...so just a bit of advertising left to do lol if it works - 10% is yours lmao

That would be ace. :lol:;)

Had exactly the same buddy, there is a post somewhere. I tried a replacement converter and it still did the same. Swapped to a set of uk clocks and been fine since :)

Oh cool! I got spare set of clocks, so will try them. Thanks :)

No worries buddy, just make sure they are uk ones :)

I have a similar problem with the speedo on my JDM. I'm just curious to know however why simply switching to a UK set of clocks on a Japanese import car calibrated to read in Km/h will cure an error in the speedo reading?

The problem seems to be the converter chips for whatever reason on the 350 (never had it on any other import), i took my converter chip off and the jdm speedo worked perfectly in kmh, hence why i realised it was the chip not the speedo itself.

The problem seems to be the converter chips for whatever reason on the 350 (never had it on any other import), i took my converter chip off and the jdm speedo worked perfectly in kmh, hence why i realised it was the chip not the speedo itself.

By the converter chip, you mean the Speedo Converter itself right? I don't know much about this but I would have thought that on an imported car, the ECU would need to be told to read in MPH (hence the ECU wiring on a speedo converter). I like the idea of simply buying a UK speedometer to correct things but need to improve my understanding before I do.

By the converter chip, you mean the Speedo Converter itself right? I don't know much about this but I would have thought that on an imported car, the ECU would need to be told to read in MPH (hence the ECU wiring on a speedo converter). I like the idea of simply buying a UK speedometer to correct things but need to improve my understanding before I do.

The converter chip you buy to change from kmh to mph that you splice into the loom.

Why do you need to improve your understanding, it works, I have done it as have others :) I would presume the markings on the dials are different spacings but correspond correctly to read in mph!

The converter chip you buy to change from kmh to mph that you splice into the loom.

Why do you need to improve your understanding, it works, I have done it as have others :) I would presume the markings on the dials are different spacings but correspond correctly to read in mph!

So I have gone with my instinct and purchased and had installed a UK Speedometer to try and cure this overspeed indication that i'm getting on both gauges of my JDM and guess what ... ? It still reads approx. 5mph fast through most speeds when tested against a GPS receiver with HUD interface. I am not writing this to try and disprove your argument as you have advised me based on your own evidence, however I am more than a little frustrated that I trusted my gut on this one based on feedback from the forum. However, I made the decision and have to live with it. - Perhaps improving my understanding before making decisions is not such a bad idea afterall ?

Edited by jamess115

The last JDM car I had was exactly the same. It always overead by 5mph compared to the GPS.

My mates Nissan S15 does the same and so did his JDM Supra before that.

Seems to be very common occurance with JDM cars that get converted.

The converter chip you buy to change from kmh to mph that you splice into the loom. Why do you need to improve your understanding, it works, I have done it as have others :) I would presume the markings on the dials are different spacings but correspond correctly to read in mph!
So I have gone with my instinct and purchased and had installed a UK Speedometer to try and cure this overspeed indication that i'm getting on both gauges of my JDM and guess what ... ? It still reads approx. 5mph fast through most speeds when tested against a GPS receiver with HUD interface. I am not writing this to try and disprove your argument as you have advised me based on your own evidence, however I am more than a little frustrated that I trusted my gut on this one based on feedback from the forum. However, I made the decision and have to live with it. - Perhaps improving my understanding before making decisions is not such a bad idea afterall ?

Cross purposes mate, i was replying to Vlads original question of the needle bouncing and in your thread i read you were having the same problem.

All cars over read compared to GPS

As above, all speedos over read, hence why the Police allow a % over the speed limit for inaccuracy, i have never in any of my cars had a speedo be 100% accurate to gps, i bet there is not a car in the land that is 100%.