Overheating Zed

CharlieGSXR

Hi guys,

Im in the middle of a european road trip and on thursday i did the nurburgring.

On finishing i looked at the temp gauge and it was above the red! The fan was on.

Immediatly parked up, turned the engine off and popped bonnet.

There was coolant spitting out the res, boiling over and was right at the top!

Left the car to cool down for 30 mins and then came back tovit and it was still very hot but drivable.

We had to move the car off site so drove it down the road but the engine still climbed in temp so got to the neqrest car park and rung the RAC. Opened bonnet while waiting and saw the coolant res had dropped right down.

Had the car recovered and now it has a suspected heat gasket failure.

Has anybody had this happen? Or is there something else it could be?

So now im in italy in a Opel Meriva which i drove around the stelvio pass yesterday and my beautiful Zed in somewhere in Germany.

Key points - engine fan turns on but not off until car has been left ffor hours to cool. Coolant res changed levels. Temp gauge stays high for a long time

HELP!!!

Are both fans running|? and no they wont tun off until the coolant temp has got to a point where the sensor is triggered,

i would say by what you have described that its likely that its the head gasket.

I believe both fans are working

The car is either getting sent back to the UK to get fixed over here or getting done in Germany so this will be interesting

If the coolant level was good prior to starting your lap of the ring then could be thermostat, head gasket or radiator blockage.

Usually the head gasket would blow only after excessive temp was reached, however not always.

I am surprised that you did not slow down as the temp started to climb on the gauge until waiting until you roasted it.

I would fill and bleed the coolant system properly as per the Nissan manual and then carry out your informed diagnoses.

If there is no oil in the coolant or any coolant in the oil you may have got lucky, however like TR I suspect that it may be the head gasket.

Alex. :)

Edited by ZMANALEX