Lightweight Dual Mass Flywheel??

So I'm not quite at the stage where I'm looking to buy a new clutch and flywheel, but I do expect it to happen sometime in the future, so I'm just doing my research now! :teeth:

My question is... is there such a thing as a lightweight dual mass flywheel??

Basically a flywheel which will maintain the refinement of the duel mass flywheel, yet have the responsiveness of the (lighter) single mass.

Sorry if that is a bit of a noob question! lol :D

(my car is the 2007 313 HR)

Edited by calvinwilson1

Alot of owners have gone for a LW flywheel, and said it was the best thing they ever did. I had one fitted nearly 2 years ago now, and love it. It sounds a little agricultural below 2.5k rpm, but above that you only notice how quickly the engine spins up. Great mod to do if your changing your clutch.

• Like 1

I decided this too. The Zed is my DD and not a race car, but I find she already makes enough agricultural sounds that a little more wont harm.

Yet to have it fitted but I plan to do videos of before/after both inside/outside and pull-aways as it was a long decision for me to choose one the other and I think the noise issue is what disturbs most people.

I went for a stage 2 clutch and single mass lightweight. Chatter at low rev, might get annoying if it's your everyday driver. I don't mind at all, does rev quicker :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe the dual mass flywheel is for cars that require the idle RPM to be around 500, like the USA, as you need to keep the engine momentum going. I doubt it has much effect on the rest of the drive train, otherwise we would have seen it now. Along similar lines to the LW pulleys really. Iv had mine fitted for 3.5 years, and apart from them squeaking when the temperature is really cold, like in winter, iv not had an issue.

DMF is nothing new, they have been used on lots of cars since the 80s the mass/momentum makes for smother idle, and the buffer effect of the rubber inserts or springs is designed to take up transmission shocks, i think people like the single mass light weight flywheels because they make the engine slightly more responsive to the throttle, normally the clutch to go with a DMF will not have any springs like a normal clutch cover, so even the light weight flywheel will have some damping via the clutch, but not as much, but i think its really just down to feel, its not like you need to have less mass on a road car, but if your a regular track day buff its probably a good idea.

I'm thinking of getting a lightweight flywheel too for my car as my DMF seems worn. Actually I am still not sure whether to get it.. I noticed some tapping/vibration, mostly on incline through my clutch but only when it is being slightly pressed. It doesn't happen all the time. I still don't know if that is a DMF problem but after reading plenty of articles I am thinking that its spring might be worn off. My clutch seems all right, there's nothing wrong with it and I am gonna leave it as it is for now, until the clutch is gone and then probably will go for LWF. I have a few questions, if somebody could answer it please:

Can LWF affect the engine and gearbox because of the vibrations? I read about it in this article http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/dmf-solid-flywheel.php. Should I stay with DMF and avoid spending money on a new gearbox or engine in a future . Let me know please what do you think about that? If it is the DMF causing the problem would that be covered by Nissan warranty and would they change it lol? My car has 42k miles on the clock. Last two years I serviced it/ changed fluids myself and previously they were done in porsche and nissan dealer garages.Thanks in advance :)

The vibration your feeling when putting pressure on the clutch is probably just the clutch bearing making contact with the pressure plate springs, and pretty normal in my book, you will only feel the DMF when taking up drive, and then you wont always feel it unless its completely fooked, not 100% in the DE DMF but most i have seen use rubber for the shock absorption, as springs get noisy when worn, the limit of the DMF is 24mm but you will have to pull the inspection plate and leaver the DMF in order to check. i wouldn't think that its work at only 40 odd K.

I f you want a light weight flywheel then its up to you, kind of depends on your driving style as to whether you like it or not, and unless your very heavy handed, or are fond of hard launches, its unlikely to accelerate drive train wear that much, personally if your just doing normal road driving i wouldn't bother.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1