Arm replacement - Nissan original or OEM?

Jimbo Mahoney

[DISCLAIMER - I'm a car novice and only just learning what terms like banana arm and drop link refer to]

Hi all,

The Nissan garage (indy, not dealer) I'm using has recommended that both front arms are replaced, together with the ball joints and drop links. The drop links and ball joints don't concern me price-wise, but the arms cost a fortune! The main problem I'm having is that one side is VERY noisy / rattly / bumpy when driving over uneven road surfaces. Not even severe bumps like speed bumps, but just manhole covers / bumps / divets / poor tarmac. Could it be a track rod end causing this? The garage also say that one is needed and I think that's the side the noise is coming from.

Originally, the garage thought they would be about £176 each (part # 54524AL500), but it seems this part has been changed (and made more expensive) at about £250 each! He also thinks this is very expensive.

He says that I could get some cheaper and he'll send me an Ebay link, but I'd like your expert opinions.

Are there some that you would recommend that I could buy from one of the well-known 350 parts shops?

e.g. Is this what I need?

http://cougarstore.c...&products_id=52

Thanks!

Edited by Jimbo Mahoney

If you find that the noise doesn't happen at low speeds when you are breaking then it will no doubt be the ball joint. I had my car in the air and couldn't get it to knock at all as its hard to see where the noise is coming from. If thats the case you can't replace the ball joint. So its a PM to the Clarks above ^ to sort you out :thumbs:

Has anyone heard of these aftermarket ones failing then? Lots of forum members have bought the arms from eBay and seem happy with them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371035654556

I need new bushes so I'm going to replace mine with SuperPros, but for an extra £140 I might just replace the arms too.

Edited by Jp606