Custom Intakes

KrisRatcliffe

Im pretty sure that the car wasn't remapped with the Stillen intakes on and therefore a simple remapping would have seen the same gains, if not more with stock air boxes.

I found the thread for it on my350z just been having a read through it. From what I can make out it was mapped with the stillen intakes before the 3" intakes were put on.

http://m.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=591395&styleid=70

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Reading that it does appear that it was remapped prior, but I can't see how having a larger filter attached to a 100mm pipe which narrows to 75mm getting much gains, if any, never mind 15bhp. It's still using the stock throttle bodies, so still only able to suck in the same amount of air. :shrug:

I could accept a few extra possibly due to a better designed cone filter and/or smoother intake pipes, but again, not 15.

The thing I think about is the heat soak.

Yes they saw a gain on the dyno with the bonnet open and fresh air being blown in by a giant fan but I'd love to see the difference it would make on the road once the engine is hot & with the bonnet shut. :dry:

I'd imagine it would lose hp and probably be no way near as responsive as the Stillen intakes which have urethane boxes surrounding the filters in order to stop them sucking in loads of hot air from the engine bay.

Quote from Stillen;

The filters sit inside custom-fitted urethane intake boxes,which ensure no hot engine compartment air gets sucked into the intake tract. This creates a cold air path,and unlike other manufacturers who only partially shield the filter from hot underhood air,STILLEN has fully enclosed the filters and draws on cold air from behind the grille,for optimum performance

I honestly don't think heat soak is much of a problem when driving around. Think of the amount of cool air coming in through the grill. Sitting in traffic or driving slowly around town, yes, but then you won't notice a few bhp anyway.

I honestly don't think heat soak is much of a problem when driving around. Think of the amount of cool air coming in through the grill. Sitting in traffic or driving slowly around town, yes, but then you won't notice a few bhp anyway.

Totally agree and I wasn't clear but I meant responsiveness from a standing start where there isn't any air flowing through as the cars not moving.

Either way I agree with you ~ just can't see it making 15bhp more just from those filters. :dry:

Totally agree and I wasn't clear but I meant responsiveness from a standing start where there isn't any air flowing through as the cars not moving.

Either way I agree with you ~ just can't see it making 15bhp more just from those filters. :dry:

Pretty sure it's whp also which is slightly more again. I also find it hard to believe that hes gained that much for basically a bigger filter and intake diameter. Just wanted to see if anybody else had a similar setup with similar gains to compare.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk