Window Weather Wierdness

The Trouser

The recent spell of hot/muggy/close weather seems to be affecting my driver's side window :wacko:

On the days when its hot (around 23 degrees on the Zed gauge) the window is dead. No movement at all - not even the dip down/up when you open/close the door.

On the cooler days (around 14 degrees) - no problems at all. Nice and smooth at the normal speed.

Does anyone have any guesses as to which part of the window mechanism could be affected like this? :blink:

(Just for info - I've checked that the window lock wasn't on and the car is parked in the shade all day so its not in direct sunlight)

TT

Hmmmm - that's interesting. I have a similar problem, though I haven't associated it with the weather. I got into the car at 3pm today (it having sat in the sun for several hours) and wound the window down without problem. But then it wouldn't come back up and I had to drive up the A12 with the window down, limiting my speed somewhat :teeth:

I've put it down to a intermitently dodgy window motor and I've literally just ordered one from Clark Motorsport. The last time it played up was a couple of weeks ago and then it was cold and rainy, so I don't think mine is heat-related. Last time I frightened it into working by opening up the door and giving it some percussive persuasion. I hoped that would keep me going for a while but today was the last straw...

Good luck.

I've put it down to a intermitently dodgy window motor...

Yes - I've done that in the past. My passenger door window stopped working a few years ago (again in hot weather) and I though "Aha! - the well-known window motor problem! I must get that replaced!".

But I didn't get around to it - and yet that window now still works! Can't say I use it very often because I don't have confidence that it will work every time, but when I do it works just fine!

Well, I've just tried the window once more now it's cool, and guess what - it operated normally... :wacko:

Oh well, I've ordered the replacement now. Let's see if that gives a permanent fix, although it may take a few weeks to be sure.

Sounds to me as though the heat is exceeding either the motor or it's control devices max operating temp limit. More likely to be any solid state control device in the circuit.

The motor is more robust and I wouldn't have thought that sort of temp would affect it operation. It could also be mechanical due to expansion. I've got no idea what's involved in the window control circuitry nor in the mechanical mechanism but I'm sure UK temperatures shouldn't be a problem. Not much help I know but I am aware of the effects of temperature on electronic circuitry.

Your bushes are burnt out and when we get a little heat here it gets very humid and thats what kills the motor for a few hours until it cools down.

You can either rip out the motor and put a new one in, or you can rip it out, rip it apart and clean it out with contact cleaner. :thumbs:

I think I may have been mistaken here - the weather doesn't seem to be the consistent factor in my window working/not working.

For example, went to get some essential provisions today (i.e. beer) at a cool 17 degrees - window working fine.

Parked up - purchased said provisions and returned to Zed. Window is dead.

:wacko: