Headlights Help!!

bizz

Hi Guys,

Last night I was working on the car when I noticed that half of the headlight looked white. I touched it and a big flake, of what looked like clear vinyl, flaked off.

The rest of the light peeled like that as well. There was no scratching or anything it literally just flaked off.

The light now looks awful

10346645_10154215134065788_97046818102026610_n.jpg?oh=d3a1480f4b1508e1d3121900aa47193d&oe=538FA099&__gda__=1401915878_04929d243f3e4ff886fec89ffd863fe6

The surface under what ever flaked off is perfectly smooth but foggy. This is all on the outside of the light

Has anyone had this issue before or know what the hell has happened?? Can it be polished off? The other light is fine.

Someone please help

give it a rub with some toothpaste, quite firm in small circles, it should help a bit, if it does, you know a headlight restoration kit will do the job :) (Some cutting compound will also do a decent job of cleaning it up I'd think :)

• Like 1

Ok that looks pretty decent :) Think I'll get the bodywork guy to do it though

Does it have to be Colgate 3-stripe matt? :p

:lol: Honestly, tooth paste is like the force to jedis when it comes to restoring the headlights :lol: Any brand will do :theeth:

nice one I will give it a bash later :) Cheers guys

Fingers crossed it works

No joke, I think one with baking soda would work best, you could do the entire light using it, but I wouldn't recommend it :lol:

ok Cool I'll give it a quick go tonight, also got the bodywork guy coming over to pick up my doors so will see what he reckons. Might get one of those 3m kits sent to him that bradders recommended :)

Save yourself some money and buy some 2500 grit wet n dry from Halfords (or a hardware shop) rub down the lense with the wet n dry until the lense is clear again. The milky looking substance coming off the wet n dry is the old clear oat. When you have the lense looking like new again apply UV protectant clear varnish. I used some from a marine supplier as boats take a hell f a beating from the sun. Apply in light coats giving It about 3 coats and this will give you protected lenses for 5 plus years. Total cost about £12, with plenty left for another day.

Edited by samsniss350z