Easiest/cheapest way to install replacement Amp (Pio HU already installed)

nictry

I was there when they re-earthed it, tee'd into a cluster of earth wires that connected to the bulkhead, I'd have thought that the wiring harnesses would eventually feed back to there. Why do u need to earth it through both?

A Zed is a bitch to earth, mine had terrible alternator whine until I earthed it to both, don't have it anymore or I would take pics to show you where, sorry....

I found it also helped getting an engine earthing kit, they are cheap help with this and also you get a smoother idle too ;)

Edited by spursmaddave

Only just seen this, feel your pain mate. My Pioneer install by a pro was good, slight issue with the balance being the wrong way round, but they sorted that. After I fitted a reverse cam I ran the cabling past the my new amp (in the OEM space) and along the passenger door trim and round the footwell to the HU. Suffered from alternator whine immediately. After some trim removal and taping wires as far apart from each other as possible and earthing to a bolt somewhere else in the boot it just went away. If it's not the earth, which it probably is, it could be cross talk from another wire if the wiring has been done too or even behind the HU. Wish I'd known to try earthing it somewhere else to begin with, no one thing seemed to cure mine, just persistent tinkering. I'm hoping it doesn't come back in the winter when she sits at a higher RPM idle, once I'm going the exhaust hides a multitude of squeaks, whines and rattles.

As for getting the centre console back in snuggly, mine was a real PITA this weekend when I changed the iPhone cabling. There's a bird's nest back there and it just wouldn't cram in. In the end I cable tied some of the bigger lumps out the way behind the plastic bits which are behind the HU (wish I'd taken a pic now) and shoved some boxes off to the side, just fitted back in after that. I'm loathe to take it out ever again! :lol:

Only just seen this, feel your pain mate. My Pioneer install by a pro was good, slight issue with the balance being the wrong way round, but they sorted that. After I fitted a reverse cam I ran the cabling past the my new amp (in the OEM space) and along the passenger door trim and round the footwell to the HU. Suffered from alternator whine immediately. After some trim removal and taping wires as far apart from each other as possible and earthing to a bolt somewhere else in the boot it just went away. If it's not the earth, which it probably is, it could be cross talk from another wire if the wiring has been done too or even behind the HU. Wish I'd known to try earthing it somewhere else to begin with, no one thing seemed to cure mine, just persistent tinkering. I'm hoping it doesn't come back in the winter when she sits at a higher RPM idle, once I'm going the exhaust hides a multitude of squeaks, whines and rattles.

As for getting the centre console back in snuggly, mine was a real PITA this weekend when I changed the iPhone cabling. There's a bird's nest back there and it just wouldn't cram in. In the end I cable tied some of the bigger lumps out the way behind the plastic bits which are behind the HU (wish I'd taken a pic now) and shoved some boxes off to the side, just fitted back in after that. I'm loathe to take it out ever again! :lol:

Tell me about it, I fitted a satnav in behind there and an extra speaker too, oh and a digital radio box and all the wiring, oh and a tmc aerial for the satnav.....

Oh and the wiring for the electric cubby door and switches etc....

Mind you it was impressive when it was all done if I do say so myself :lol:

• Like 1