Using steering wheel controls with aftermarket unit

Chesterfield

Does anyone know if it is physically posible to use the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket head unit?

Not that I have one yet, but its just a point that was raised by the other half when I was hanging my nose over some units at JAE.

The only way I thought of, and Im probably going about it all wrong, was that some units come with a remote control. If the remote control was mounted somewhere indescrete, and the wires from the controls on the steering wheel were extended and wired into the relevant microswitches in the remote control - that would work, but I think that would be extremely messy.

Any other opinions?

I think there is an adaptor you can buy. I think it's for alpine only. I could be all wrong here though. I seem to remember someone getting one from accross the pond.

Either that or I'm dreaming again......

PAC do some units, mainly the PAC SWI-JACK and SWI-ALP I beleive. IIRC they are units that you teach the commands to. You connect the wires from the steering control to the box, tell it a command (say Vol+) and then hit it on the steering wheel controls. It pics up the command and knows what to do when you hit it again. The JACK and ALP are different versions which have the right connector for the HU. I know a couple of guys on here have fitted them with success.