What grease to use on a Drop Links

Dicky

Anyone recommend a decent lubricant for the metal to rubber drop links to stop them creaking.

I've been using 151 Super Grease but it doesn't seem to las long.

Also any good tips to get the lubricant in given the shortness of the supplied tube and getting the can into position

Not quite sure I know where you mean, I don't grease drop links if I did copper grease probably, or petroleum jelly normal grease may eat the rubber.

You can get some steering rack grease that's rubber friendly but horrid stuff - you cant be putting it inside the joint it's sealed on the outside a brush to apply but if you do things like that it tends to get grit stuck in it and you will wear the rubber down quicker.

Maybe I'm missing what your asking :shrug:

I believe they are commonly know as the drop links and creak when dry, but looking at the manual (RSU-7) they call them Stabiliser Connecting Rod.

I copied a picture posted by another member a couple of years ago (been searching for it but haven't found it yet. I'll keep trying) because it showed them very well. I gave the copy to my main dealer and ask them to lub them for me and they used 151 super grease.

I'll come back when I track down that post again

What about graphite grease they use on CV joints.

Possible, but I was wondering what others are using and having success with. I'm now a bit worried after what Keyser has said. I've read a lot about others with squeaky drop links and had assumed the fix was to grease them.

Oppseeee - didn't want to worry you :blush:

OK this is what I think of when you say drop link (the rear on my car and it is an upgraded one)

69ddff8f-c964-4ca5-ab3a-e77884463294_zpsc1553697.jpg

No point in greasing the bolt as that is static in relation to the ARB or the mounting plate (and if it don't move it can't squeak)

Where the arrow ends is the back of the mounting pin this is basically a ball joint, on the other side of that you can just see the rubber that seals the ball joint before the silver locking nut that holds it to the ARB.

So the moving part and therfore the part that can squeak is "inside" the drop link" so to grease it you would need to remove the rubber cap grease the ball joint and replace the rubber car - not sure the caps will come of and go back on though :shrug:

I don't see that greasing the outside will do anything useful.

However this is only my opinion and I have been wrong before - every-time I say something according to the better half :lol:

Hope it helps :thumbs:

Well Keyser I'm confused now, unfortunately I don't get under the car to often and don't recognise much on your picture. By the way is that really the underside of your care! I'm amazed. It must have taken loads of work to achieve that finish. Whew!

Anyway I've searched and searched for the picture I got off this forum which would have indicated exactly what I mean and I can't copy a picture out of the car manual onto this post via my iPad. If you have a manual then it's in RSU page 7 item 18 otherwise I will have to suspend this post until I can get a picture to post.

I did the job myself about 3 yrs ago but the garage have done it since. As I recall the item I'm talking about was positioned vertically at the rear, one each side. The guide information said to push the small red tube used on these spray cans (like WD40 cans) into the side of the rubber surrounding the metal and lubricate there.

Not much of a technical and clear explanation I know but a picture will be better

Item 18: Stabilizer Connecting Rod = Drop Link.

This is the same item as Keyser has shown in his photo (although as he said, they are not original Nissan).

I can't see anywhere in the manual where it says to grease these. They are normally a non-serviceable item, and being relatively cheap and easy to change are just replaced.

http://www.nicoclub....pe/2006/rsu.pdf

Edited by Watshot

Item 18: Stabilizer Connecting Rod = Drop Link.

This is the same item as Keyser has shown in his photo (although as he said, they are not original Nissan).

I can't see anywhere in the manual where it says to grease these. They are normally a non-serviceable item, and being relatively cheap and easy to change are just replaced.

http://www.nicoclub....pe/2006/rsu.pdf

No I didn't get the notion to grease them from the manual. Some time ago I had read a post from another member asking about a creaking noise from the back of the car. One of the guys who contributed to the thred posted a photo, a little like Keyser's showing the drop link with an arrow showing where to lubricate. I wish I could find it again but the Search facility doesn't seem to like me and I can't find it. To be fair I'm going back a few years now. I passed the picture on to the Nissan dealer and asked them to lubricate them. When I got the car back the squeak had gone and they gave me back the squirty grease they had used, 151 super grease.

I did it again myself a couple of years ago and again the squeak departed the scene.

Having read that thread I assumed everyone did this to get rid of the noise but obviously not.

Anyway I appreciate everyone's input.

So no one else does this, only me?

It's only you - but it's good to be different :lol:

Nothing wrong with it if it works :)

With the help of Watshot - yup we are talking about the same thing - I can see that if you pushed the tube into the rubber it would lubricate the ball and stop the squeak but to be honest they are probably more worn now therefore move more. That leads to two things more squeak and they will push any grease out quicker so I would suggest that this time round you get them replaced :thumbs:

PM Clarke Motorsport for OE replacments

If you want uprated ones like me (powergrid) Clark may have them or TARMAC or maybe CS you can get some really cheap Chinese copies of The Bay - But Don't ;)

PS yes that is the bottom of my car MOT inspector loves it - he's the only one that gets to see it - it took 10 months to rebuild her from the ground up :)

WoooW 10 months! you must be either a proffessional or a very competant enthusiast and have a shed load of tools to achieve that. Have you posted that work and if so have a short cut to it cos I'd like to read it.

You make me feel a bit of a fraud. I think I'm a suitable candidate for a formula 1 team after just changing the oil and filter, never mind rebuilding a car like this. It scares me just looking under the bonnet and seeing all those nut, bolts, pipes wires and metal lumps. They seem to stare back and say "enter here if you dare cos we have the power to make your life a misery if you chance to touch us" ha ha ha.

• Like 1

Strap yourself in Dicky if you want to read Keysers build thread; it's epic.

I would link to it but can't remember the title, sorry. I'm sure Keyser will get a link up.

Incidentally, what happened to the Mini build thread Keyser? I was following but can't remember it being finished.

Strap yourself in Dicky if you want to read Keysers build thread; it's epic.

I would link to it but can't remember the title, sorry. I'm sure Keyser will get a link up.

Incidentally, what happened to the Mini build thread Keyser? I was following but can't remember it being finished.

Nothing

That's exactly what has happened NOTHING - My dad has not been well and then my mum got cancer :( so we have had to put the projects on hold the Mini currently resides under a tarpaulin at the side of the house.

But fear not as things will hopefully return to normal in a few more months and I have plans afoot for some new projects including a rebuild that will hopefully put my last build to shame! :ninja:

Watch this space ...............................

Sorry to here that Keyser. I'll look forward to your new projects (and finishing old!). Always an interesting read.

Dicky, apologies for the minor hijack.

No probs, good luck to your mum Keyser, must be a awfull worry for you all.