can you still drive your car whilst you are switching to a private plate?

ostego

Hi, i want to get a private plate for my 350, but was wonderig how the process works.... ive read it is quite a lengthy process as would be expected with the dvla, involving certificates and documents.

But is there a gap in the process as the new reg is being transferred and the old one removed from their systems where you cannot use the car on the road for a certain time period? As in theory your car could be linked to 2 different plates throughout the process

Cant really not be able to use the car so this would be an issue even if it was just a week.

Hi

All I did was have my new plates ready and as soon as the paperwork came through I informed my insurance company and put the new plates on.

If you're worried about the crossover timescale then you could always keep the new plates in the car with you just in case, although I don't think this is needed.

As far as I'm aware the old plates are perfectly legal until you receive the new issued tax disc, mot certificate and V5.

You cannot put the private plate on until the documents come through (usually around 2weeks). You drive as normal on your original plates. Once your new private reg documents come through, you have about 2 weeks to put the new plates on. So basically for 2 weeks you could have either your old or new plates on.

Hope that helps. If not sure ring dvla, they are very helpful.

Just put mine on today, Dvla were pretty quick getting everything through, less than 2 weeks. Once the new mot cert and tax disc arrive you can put your new plates on. I removed the front number plate holder tooy9a4a6ar.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk